Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'hack' 'kaff' I'm back online weekly

February 3, 2008

It has been a trying time recently around our house. I have been nearly
incapacitated by one of the worst colds I've ever had, and, worse, our
DSL service, heretofore reasonably reliable, has been going out lately
and is out now and will continue to be out all weekend. I didn't write
last weekend because I was sick and half out of my mind, and this letter
may well not get out today although I'm going to try transcribing all of
your email addresses into a Webmail interface down at the Kirkland library
later this afternoon, so maybe it will get out.

Anyway, ignoring the discomforts of being ill compounded with having to
spend several hours on the phone with Verizon tech support ("So how is
the weather in Bangalore?"), it has been an interesting few weeks. I am
still maintaining 100% abstinence from all caffeinated beverages, over
a month now. It's been interesting watching the cravings wax and wane. To
be honest, I have noticed that I now have an increased interest in all
forms of chocolate. However, I find eating chocolate bars to be sufficiently
gross that it is proving - for me at least - to be a self-limiting activity.
Now if you see me writing that I've taken up truffle cookery, you might
start to worry.

There is an interesting note on the clutter front. As you know, I grew up in a
very large house on North Capitol Hill. Next door to us were other large houses.
The house to the south of ours was occupied by the Dore family, so naturally I
got to know many of their children well when I was young. Well, I got a call
from Mike Dore the other day. His parents are both dead now, and his family is
working their way through the home in Richmond Beach where they moved after
leaving Capitol Hill. Mike wound up as owner of their baby grand piano, and he
called me to offer it to me and Karen. It isn't every day you get offered a baby
grand piano, that's for sure. Needless to say, we passed on the offer, but if
any of you want to take on this tremendous white elephant, please let me know.

Last time I wrote I alluded to a developing story about Nick (my 18 year old
son). When he turned 18 he packed up and moved out within a nanosecond or two. I
haven't had really good communication with him for some time now, but I've
gathered that he's finding it somewhat difficult to make a living. I'd sort of
expected that one day he might show up and want to take another stab at college
or something. However, I now hear that he is planning to marry his girlfriend
Tia, and the two of them are planning to move to Spokane, Washington. Nick is
apparently serious about this. We were at the Westlake Guitar Center yesterday
buying some drum parts for young Colin, and Kenny, bass player in Die By Day
(who works there) told us that Nick has quit the band. Kenny described Nick's
state of mind as "the Yoko illness". In case anyone is wondering, DBD is
planning to continue - Nick and Will are looking for a guitar player/singer. I
am glad that I'm pretty good at letting go of outcomes, or I might be very
worried about young Nick right now. I know that he knows he we all love him and
that he has a lot of family to stand behind him, and I'm sure he'll be OK
whatever happens.

Although I was sick in bed all this past week, I was unable to resist young Alex
when she called me at the very last minute, having to move her possessions out
of their rental house in South Seattle. So I bundled up and hooked up the
trailer and, dizzy and disoriented, I stumbled my way through helping Alex move
back to her mom's in Kirkland. Alex is no longer working at the Zeek's on
Phinney. I gather that Alex is now working a couple of nights a week as a server
at the Kirkland Zeek's (back where she started) and is planning to attend
culinary arts school here in Kirkland.

It's Super Bowl Sunday today. I remember well my very favorite Super Bowl day.
My good friend Warren and I (neither of us very much football fans) went salmon
fishing in Puget Sound some years ago on Super Bowl Sunday. Needless to say, we
were nearly the only boat out there. The fishing was great and so was the
camaraderie. What a great day that was!

I'm nearly well now, feeling much better indeed. So far no one else has caught
this nasty virus from me - our fingers are crossed! I'm going to sign off now in
hopes that you all are having as good a Super Bowl day as Warren and I did all
those years ago.

Love, Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:09:35 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

snip

I am
still maintaining 100% abstinence from all caffeinated beverages, over
a month now.

snip

Hi Grant,

Good to hear that you are on the mend. What's up with the
caffeine withdrawal? Most of the reports I read say a
moderate amount is okay and may even be good for you. I
enjoy it, ain't going to live for ever anyway, so why not
indulge a bit. If you want to extend your life expectancy
keep your butt moving with some aerobic exercise on a
regular basis and your weight inline

Nasty cold kicked my butt around a month ago and my net
computer died around the same time. Took me a week to get
the "new" machine (old Compaq Presario/AMD 500mhz, grin)
working and back online. Nobody noticed I went missing
though, no surprise there... still working on getting my
favorite proggies all running again.

Good luck with Verizon, I'll be watching for some regular
postings when you get it sorted out.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b