Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What kind of plating is this?

Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just took this wheelnut off:http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Best wishes,

Chris

Yellow cad?

I wondered if it was cadmium myself. But I thought cadmium was
poisonous. Is it still used? I've recently seen the same colour plating
on brand new items.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Think I just answered my own question. Here's a good article on the subject:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Looks like it's probably zinc dichromate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just took this wheelnut
off:http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Best wishes,

Chris

Yellow cad?

I wondered if it was cadmium myself. But I thought cadmium was poisonous.
Is it still used? I've recently seen the same colour plating on brand new
items.

Best wishes,

Chris

The irridite finish can also be applied to zinc plating as I recall.
Cadmium has fallen out of favor, although it is likely still used for
defense purposes.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Think I just answered my own question. Here's a good article on the subject:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Looks like it's probably zinc dichromate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Can somebody explain this bolt, which is from the above link about
coatings?

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.c...MagnesiumA.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 12:50*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Think I just answered my own question. Here's a good article on the subject:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Looks like it's probably zinc dichromate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Can somebody explain this bolt, which is from the above link about
coatings?

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.c...agnesiumA.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Those look *like* threads but I don't think they *are* threads.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

wrote:

Just took this wheelnut
off:http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Best wishes,

Chris

Yellow cad?

I wondered if it was cadmium myself. But I thought cadmium was poisonous.
Is it still used? I've recently seen the same colour plating on brand new
items.

Best wishes,

Chris

The irridite finish can also be applied to zinc plating as I recall.
Cadmium has fallen out of favor, although it is likely still used for
defense purposes.

Harold

I read a lot of requirements specifications these days and Cadmium is on the
prohibited materials list. But you can get permission to use just about
anything if you convince the procurement office it is in the best interest
of the military.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

wrote:

[...]

Phosphate coatings often are yellow, and they can be (and often are) applied
on top of plating.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on
the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Think I just answered my own question. Here's a good article on the
subject:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Looks like it's probably zinc dichromate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Can somebody explain this bolt, which is from the above link about
coatings?

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.c...agnesiumA.jpg- Hide
quoted text -

Those look *like* threads but I don't think they *are* threads.

They are threads, but I'd guess they're not of any practical use.
At a glance, I would say it's a cylinder head stretch bolt, and the
'threads' are possibly added to modify the stretch properties of the bolt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here are a couple more interesting links I found:
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/brass.htm

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:11:56 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just took this wheelnut off:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/wheelnut.jpg

You can see the original plating inside, but it's all rusted away on the
outside. The plating looks yellow. I'm curious: does anyone know what
kind of plating it is?

Think I just answered my own question. Here's a good article on the subject:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Looks like it's probably zinc dichromate.

Right. Zinc plating affords good rust protection, but it is very
vulnerable to even mild acids like fingerprints and acid rain. A dunk
in the chromate give the zinc better resistance to mild acids.

PVD Plating? [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 16th 07 09:48 PM
Tin plating Spurtle Metalworking 12 March 14th 05 11:46 AM
Silver plating Peter Fairbrother Metalworking 15 March 9th 05 01:55 PM
Plating question. Roger Shoaf Metalworking 5 December 21st 04 04:50 AM
Copper plating Dan Caster Metalworking 5 July 24th 03 01:04 PM