Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WOW-eee, did this come out nice!

One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 15, 7:02 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob

Yes, that does look good! You may now pat yourself on the back.

I find when I run the lathe at higher speeds and heaver cuts, within
limits, I get better looking results. Sometimes that's a bit scary,
however.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:02:19 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob

Positive or negative rake tooling?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to
get a cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get
a cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Na, not true. Now you know it can be done. Keep with it till its a regular
occurrence. With lighter lathes the secret is sharpening honing and
radiusing of HSS tools. it took a LONG time but I got my old LeBlond to
regularly produce a nice finish.

Then when I got a 10EE I was plumb spoilt. A CNMG (negative rake insert) is
child's play for a mirror finish on this lathe.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:

I turned some 1045 last year with a similar mirror finish. Same lathe, same
inserts and I can't get the same results if my life depended on it. May the
force stay with you.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob

Carbide tends to do that on hard stuff, particularly negative-rake
carbide if the lathe is heavy enough for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth cuts
on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob

I sometimes get that look, especially on really hard stock. Almost feel it's a
burnished finish.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

One of the shafts on my rototiller-in-rehab was so badly rusted that I
decide to turn it smooth. I've never been able to get very smooth
cuts on the lathe, but with a file afterwards I've managed to get
smooth-enough. Not this time:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/LatheCut.jpg

That is untouched after the cut (except for my fondling it!) I can't
believe it. 'Must have been the material - it was hard, if that would
make a difference.

Oh, that felt good,
Bob

I have a nonrigid South Bend 9" lathe. Usually my stuff looks like it was
gnawed out by a turkey weasel but occasionally I get a result like Bob's.
The thing is, normally I'm just using whatever stock I have around, A36
or something. When I get chrome-like results I'm machining tool steel.

Big difference.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get a
cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Bob

With exactly the same set-up but a different steel, you will get a different
finish. Have you ever seen the finish left by a carbide burnishing tool?
Finnish only counts if the dimensions and geometry are right first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LOL Turkey weasel?
Never seen one but by God I know what you're talking about, Grant.

Nok

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message snip gnawed out
by a turkey weasel but occasionally I get a result like Bob's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get a
cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Bob

With exactly the same set-up but a different steel, you will get a different
finish. Have you ever seen the finish left by a carbide burnishing tool?
Finnish only counts if the dimensions and geometry are right first.

Finnish? Is that a lesbian thing?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get a
cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Bob

With exactly the same set-up but a different steel, you will get a different
finish. Have you ever seen the finish left by a carbide burnishing tool?
Finnish only counts if the dimensions and geometry are right first.

Finnish? Is that a lesbian thing?

Ai! Ya pest no be talking caca about us Finns, else Toivo and Arnie
and da rest of da poys from down at Frankys tavern dake offense and
turn over yer outhouse, eh?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get
cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Bob

With exactly the same set-up but a different steel, you will get a different
finish. Have you ever seen the finish left by a carbide burnishing tool?
Finnish only counts if the dimensions and geometry are right first.

Finnish? Is that a lesbian thing?

Bite me!

Why? I'm not a lesbian! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

nice day [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 11th 07 03:00 PM
It's Nice . a. Home Repair 2 June 8th 07 04:11 AM
Wouldn't It Be Nice If ... charlie b Woodturning 2 November 12th 05 12:57 PM
Wouldn't it be nice.. David Woodworking 58 April 27th 05 11:18 PM