Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default WOW-eee, did this come out nice!

Positive or negative rake tooling?

Positive, 'cause that's all I have.

I tell 'ya, I should just quit now, sell my lathe. I'm never going to get
a cut like that again and I'm going to be forever dissatisfied.

Na, not true. Now you know it can be done. Keep with it till its a regular
occurrence. With lighter lathes the secret is sharpening honing and
radiusing of HSS tools. it took a LONG time but I got my old LeBlond to
regularly produce a nice finish.

Then when I got a 10EE I was plumb spoilt. A CNMG (negative rake insert) is
child's play for a mirror finish on this lathe.

Karl