Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Extrude-hone gone wrong!!!!!

A friend sent me this post from a personal watercraft tech chat site. If
this guy is for real he should make Darwins list;

Porting trouble

Hey guys, I've got a 93 Superjet. I've had a pipe and modded ignition for a
while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and
polish the intake and exhaust ports. We found out they used abrasive
material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Fords
and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and
hooked up into the intake and started the ski with it hooked up to the flush
kit. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine
suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it
out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust port and manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long
as we added a little more premix than usual. After running it and letting it
suck in sand we got about quarter way through a 25 lb bag. The engine was
bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the F/A
back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and
it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird
noises. We just kept trying to run it to blow more sand out but it started
to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Fords so he doesn't
know much about Yamaha pwc motors.
__________________
650 Superjet

(Can anyone actually be this stupid?)
Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Actually, this is a performance enhancement EVERY jet ski jockey should make
to his steed.

-Carl (just kidding... sort of)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
A friend sent me this post from a personal watercraft tech chat site. If
this guy is for real he should make Darwins list;

Porting trouble

Hey guys, I've got a 93 Superjet. I've had a pipe and modded ignition for
a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and

-snip-

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Fords so he
doesn't know much about Yamaha pwc motors.
__________________
650 Superjet

(Can anyone actually be this stupid?)
Dixon

lol. that's funny. i wish i could think something like that up to post as
a joke/hoax. would be too funny reading the replies. lol.
this reminded me though of an old timer telling me a story about how when he
was coming up the old timers he knew told him about de-carboning a piston
head by putting, i can't remember now if it was rice or pop corn, i THINK he
said rice, into the engine's intake while the engine was running. funny
huh? it would pop the rice on it's way through and in the process clean the
intake, cylinder head and exhaust port. lol. i don't know, maybe it was
true and for real. i ain't gonna try it though. i'd be like, wouldn't it
get stuck in the valves on the way through? would be funny to see a puff of
SOMETHING blasting out the exhaust pipe huh? POOF! maybe it would smell
like puffed rice.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 04:48:02 GMT, "Carl Byrns"
wrote:

Actually, this is a performance enhancement EVERY jet ski jockey should make
to his steed.

-Carl (just kidding... sort of)

Yes indeed! Highly recommended! The problem probably was that
inferior sand was used. Volcanic black blasting grit is very cheap,
available at most lumber yards. This port polishing technique is best
done at wide open throttle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Could anyone be that stupid? Sure!

I knew a guy in the 70's that swore the hot setup for a
fresh 2 stroke was to fire it up on straight gas and rip a
full throttle pass up the street. He said it helped seat the
rings.

On the other side of the motorcycle coin, when my dad had
his motorcycle shop, he sold a Ducati 450 RT to a fellow
used to Maico's. Soon as he got the engine lit off, he'd rev
the crap out of it. Dad tried to explain the difference
between 2 and 4 strokes, mainly the need to let oil pressure
build before really revving the engine. But this guy
wouldn't listen. Not too many months later, dad bought the
bike back dirt cheap. Engine had about a 1/4" gap at the
front of the engine cases. It was a bitch pulling it apart.
Not sure, but it appeared the rod let go at the lower end on
the compression stroke, piston fired, and drove the rod
right down between the flywheels, splitting the cases apart.
I've got it welded to a base and can post a link to a pic if
anyone wants to see it.

It might be a hoax, but given the low level of technical
savvy in people these days, it's possible.

Stupidity, the one thing that is available in truly
unlimited quantities...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Yes indeed! Highly recommended! The problem probably was that
inferior sand was used. Volcanic black blasting grit is very cheap,
available at most lumber yards. This port polishing technique is best
done at wide open throttle.

For this to work properley the engine needs to be run on 90% nitromethane
at full throttle.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 02:40:23 -0600, "Rob Fraser"
FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net wrote:

A lot of **** talk here fellas..... 90% met ha... good luck in finding the
parts. This has to be bull****.

Rob

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
A friend sent me this post from a personal watercraft tech chat site. If
this guy is for real he should make Darwins list;

Porting trouble

Hey guys, I've got a 93 Superjet. I've had a pipe and modded ignition for
a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and

snip
Yeah, but it's funny bull****.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's the actual link , read "Lostotter"
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=151407

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:33:50 -0500, Dixon wrote:

[...]

Yes, they can. When I was younger I worked in production, mold-making,
and sales for my dad's company (http://www.wescottsauto.com). After a
while I realized that there's one of the main symptoms of the differences
between men and women is that a woman will happily profess to being
mechanically ignorant, while a man will happily demonstrate it to you, on
his own equipment.

I have seen friends, customers, co-workers, and customers car builders do
things to cars that go well beyond anything that I could imagine doing,
both in the 'stupid' and 'clever' directions.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

"Dixon" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I'm all for it. Not kidding, either!

That, or a muffler that works!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Could anyone be that stupid? Sure!

I knew a guy in the 70's that swore the hot setup for a fresh 2 stroke
was to fire it up on straight gas and rip a full throttle pass up the
street. He said it helped seat the rings.

Reminds me of Seagull outboards where I lived in Long Island NY, they
had gotten a reputation for poor starting, seems most folks didn't
read the instructions. You were supposed to fill the tank then once
started run the engine at WOT for a tank full and that ran in the
engine, started fine after that. Most just pottered about then put the
engine away and wondered why it didn't start well next time. My dad's
one was great, started well, ran great, only downside was you needed to
keep some spare shear springs incase you accidentally grounded the prop.