Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpn dpn is offline

Default metal alloy for old dozer repair part opinions

What would the group opinion be for using 4140 alloy round to
manufacture a replacement front cross-bar for an early 1010c. This part
is aprox 52" wide, supports the engine mount and transfers the load to
the track frames. Asides for shock load i would suspect the weight
supported would be aprox. 600-700 lbs, but feel its main function is to
keep the track frames spread.The original cross-bar seems to be
annealed and not hardened. I would use the 4140 in its annealed state
also.
Thanks for the opinions

dpn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 5, 11:26 am, dpn wrote:
What would the group opinion be for using 4140 alloy round to
manufacture a replacement front cross-bar for an early 1010c. This part
is aprox 52" wide, supports the engine mount and transfers the load to
the track frames. Asides for shock load i would suspect the weight
supported would be aprox. 600-700 lbs, but feel its main function is to
keep the track frames spread.The original cross-bar seems to be
annealed and not hardened. I would use the 4140 in its annealed state
also.
Thanks for the opinions

dpn

What's wrong with the original? Are you preparing the tractor for work
or show?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpn dpn is offline

On 2008-01-05 13:32:13 -0600, " said:

On Jan 5, 11:26 am, dpn wrote:
What would the group opinion be for using 4140 alloy round to
manufacture a replacement front cross-bar for an early 1010c. This part
is aprox 52" wide, supports the engine mount and transfers the load to
the track frames. Asides for shock load i would suspect the weight
supported would be aprox. 600-700 lbs, but feel its main function is to
keep the track frames spread.The original cross-bar seems to be
annealed and not hardened. I would use the 4140 in its annealed state
also.
Thanks for the opinions

dpn

What's wrong with the original? Are you preparing the tractor for work
or show?

Paul

The original is cracked and has been repaired very poorly many times in
its 60 year life. in addition it was welded in place as a half effort
fix for loosiniing bolts. I cut the bar inorder to remove and repair
broken bolts and frame cracks.
I should have mentioned in my original post that the bar is 3" in
diameter and reduces to 2 3/4" on the ends to fit into the tracks.
this tractor is for use around my hobby farm, not for show, mostly its
a rebuild project for fun and to ensure i have a usable and reliably
repaired peice of equiptment.
dpn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What brand is the 1010C? I found this one
http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/adpic901.htm
which seems to be an export model for Australia????

Anyway, I'd suspect that the old shaft is ordinary hot rolled steel,
4140 would be overkill.

dpn wrote:
What would the group opinion be for using 4140 alloy round to
manufacture a replacement front cross-bar for an early 1010c. This part
is aprox 52" wide, supports the engine mount and transfers the load to
the track frames. Asides for shock load i would suspect the weight
supported would be aprox. 600-700 lbs, but feel its main function is to
keep the track frames spread.The original cross-bar seems to be annealed
and not hardened. I would use the 4140 in its annealed state also.
Thanks for the opinions

dpn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpn dpn is offline

dpn wrote:
What would the group opinion be for using 4140 alloy round to
manufacture a replacement front cross-bar for an early 1010c. This part
is aprox 52" wide, supports the engine mount and transfers the load to
the track frames. Asides for shock load i would suspect the weight
supported would be aprox. 600-700 lbs, but feel its main function is to
keep the track frames spread.The original cross-bar seems to be
annealed and not hardened. I would use the 4140 in its annealed state
also.
Thanks for the opinions

dpn

Roy, its an old John Deere as in the add you posted. General concensis
is that 1018 would be suitable. Given the need to machine and weld abit
during fabrication, the 1018 working properties seem to fit its use.
One person pointed out that being this machine is 60+ years old the
alloy would not have been very exotic and the high carbon contant could
prove problemeatic as far as brittleness. seems that ability to absorb
shock is the characteristic we are looking for. John Deere also favored
1018 for most parts as I am told.

dpn