Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Snowblower quits when down to about 3/4 tank

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Samuels wrote:
I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

Run some carb cleaner through it. Also check the fuel pick up. If it
is a syphon type (coming in from the top and going to the bottom of the
tank) there may be a hole in the pick up that breaks syphon when the
fuel level drops below the hole. Just a thought.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Ted Samuels wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

I would inspect the pickup in the tank, first.

Tonk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Jim Chandler wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

Run some carb cleaner through it. Also check the fuel pick up. If it
is a syphon type (coming in from the top and going to the bottom of the
tank) there may be a hole in the pick up that breaks syphon when the
fuel level drops below the hole. Just a thought.

My first one, too, Jim. :-)
Jim Chandler

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:
Ted Samuels wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops.
Anyone know any quick way to unstick things?

I would inspect the pickup in the tank, first.

Tonk

Thank you Jim and Tom

The gas line is a straight gravity feed out through the bottom of the tank. When this
first started I got a fuel additive that was supposed to act as a carb cleaner and
gave it a double dose to start off with. No luck yet! Wondered if there was anything
that might be found in my shop that might help. Snowing like hell and all the stores
are closed so carb cleaner in out of the question right now.

Ted

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Ted Samuels wrote:
Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line
pressure drops.
Anyone know any quick way to unstick things?

I would inspect the pickup in the tank, first.

Tonk

Thank you Jim and Tom

The gas line is a straight gravity feed out through the bottom of the
tank. When this
first started I got a fuel additive that was supposed to act as a carb
cleaner and
gave it a double dose to start off with. No luck yet! Wondered if there
was anything
that might be found in my shop that might help. Snowing like hell and
all the stores
are closed so carb cleaner in out of the question right now.

Ted

Is fuel still flowing from the tank when this happens?
If not, check the tank cap for clear breather hole.

Another thing does it run if you immediately top up the
tank? If not it could be a time related fault like a faulty
coil heating up.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:

Is fuel still flowing from the tank when this happens?
If not, check the tank cap for clear breather hole.

That breather hole could be the problem. Uncle's snapper had a vent with a
screw for closing for whatever reason. The mower would run for a few
minutes and die then start and run for a bit and die.

While troubleshooting I noticed it and opened it. End of problems.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:
Ted Samuels wrote:
Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone know any quick way to unstick things?

I would inspect the pickup in the tank, first.

Tonk

Thank you Jim and Tom

The gas line is a straight gravity feed out through the bottom of the tank. When
this first started I got a fuel additive that was supposed to act as a carb
cleaner and gave it a double dose to start off with. No luck yet! Wondered if
there was anything that might be found in my shop that might help. Snowing like
hell and all the stores are closed so carb cleaner in out of the question right
now.

Ted

Is fuel still flowing from the tank when this happens? If not, check the tank cap
for clear breather hole.

Not really sure. Never really considered the cap vent. When she starts to stall out I
can keep her running for a while in spits and jerks with the primer pump

Another thing does it run if you immediately top up the tank? If not it could be a
time related fault like a faulty coil heating up.

Yep, she'll start as soon as I fill her up and run till she's down a quarter.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:18:02 -0500, Ted Samuels
wrote:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

After reading the other replies it sounds to me like you're getting
a airlock in the fuel line. I've seen this in at least one other
engine. Have you changed the fuel line routing or filter recently?

Another possibility is that there's a fuel pump in or before the
carb that's not working.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Samuels wrote:
Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

[...]

The comments about the vent made me think (DAMN! That hurts!) Try
running it wih the cap off. If it continues to run, there's the
problem. Better still. Try running it until it starts to falter then
remove the cap and see if it returns to normal. If it turns out that
the vent is NOT the problem, try taking the carb apart and using
isopropyl alcohol, acetone or such as a cleaner and clean it out. While
you have the carb off, try draining the tank into a glass jar and see
what you get. Check for flow problems and/or dirt.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
Ted Samuels wrote:
Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

Tom wrote:

Ted Samuels wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim It's still snowing like hell. When and if it ever let's up, (O: I'll
try running with the cap loose.

Also do have some isopropyl alcohol on the back step. The wife loves using it in the
wiper fluid. The smell carries right into the car. Probably would blow better then
..08 after an evening's drive.

Ted

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:18:02 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ted
Samuels quickly quoth:

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

After you run it and it stops, quickly unscrew the fuel
filler cap. If there is a sucking sound, you have a plugged cap.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

a common failure is that the pinhole in the cap gets clogged - there must be
a way for air to enter as the gas exits

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 22:07:25 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

a common failure is that the pinhole in the cap gets clogged - there must be
a way for air to enter as the gas exits

For some reason, squirrels have tried to enlarge the vent holes on my
blower, damned gas sniffing rodents!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure
drops. Anyone
know any quick way to unstick things?

a common failure is that the pinhole in the cap gets clogged - there must
be
a way for air to enter as the gas exits

For some reason, squirrels have tried to enlarge the vent holes on my
blower, damned gas sniffing rodents!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

no wonder the squirrels can't remember where they burried their nuts.......

(ok, place squirrel sex joke here )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 3:13*pm, Wes wrote:
...Uncle's snapper had a vent with a
screw for closing for whatever reason. *The mower would run for a few
minutes and die then start and run for a bit and die. *
Wes

Some Snapper riding mowers are designed to stand on end for
maintenance and storage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 1, 3:13*pm, Wes wrote:
...Uncle's snapper had a vent with a
screw for closing for whatever reason. *The mower would run for a few
minutes and die then start and run for a bit and die. *
Wes

Some Snapper riding mowers are designed to stand on end for
maintenance and storage.

Well that would make sense. I wondered why they had a sealable vent.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
I presume the needle valve is sticking closed as the gas line pressure drops.
Anyone know any quick way to unstick things?

a common failure is that the pinhole in the cap gets clogged - there must be a way
for air to enter as the gas exits

Thanks ALL

I ran the damned thing last night with the cover loosened and as usual it quit at 3/4
tank.

Got up this AM, got out to get more gas. Came back, filled her up and proceeded to do
my drive and the drives of 6 of my neighbours. Never hesitated once even in the heavy
stuff the plow filled in. Tidied up, put the blower away. She had used a tad more
than a half tank, so she's has had a change of heart. Perhaps that carb cleaner stuff
kicked in and is doing it's thing ??

Thanks again, ALL!