Jim Myers

Default Gas Furnace Quits Working

Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It usually
stops in the middle of the night and we wake up to find the temperature in
the house 7 to 10 degrees below the set temperature on the electronic
thermostat.

The furnace does not kick on if you increase the temperature settng on the
thermostat. However, it does come on, usually, if I turn the thermostat
setting from "Heat" to "off" for a few minutes, then back to "Heat". I have
not tried restart the furnace by turning off the main power switch to the
furnace.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how much it might cost to
get it repaired?

thanks,
Jim Myers

Joe Zimmerman

I had this happen a few years back when I didn't know anything about this
stuff... the repair man came out and cleaned the flame sensor with a small
wire brush... I've since then had the same problem, with the same fix only
this time I fixed it myself.

I've heard of several other people with the exact same problem, and this is
the usual fix.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/he_heating...274827,00.html

give this a shot before calling in the pros

Joe

"Jim Myers" wrote in message
Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It
usually stops in the middle of the night and we wake up to find the
temperature in the house 7 to 10 degrees below the set temperature on the
electronic thermostat.

The furnace does not kick on if you increase the temperature settng on the
thermostat. However, it does come on, usually, if I turn the thermostat
setting from "Heat" to "off" for a few minutes, then back to "Heat". I
have not tried restart the furnace by turning off the main power switch to
the furnace.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how much it might cost
to get it repaired?

thanks,
Jim Myers

Sam O'Nella

Jim Myers wrote:
Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It

Please post in alt.hvac, not here.

m Ransley

Yea I know what the problem is, Simple, ITS Broke, Call a pro, or Post
at alt.hvac, bunch of Nice guys that will fix ya fine and get you all
heated up in minutes.

Bubba

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:01:46 -0500, "Jim Myers"
wrote:

Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It usually
stops in the middle of the night and we wake up to find the temperature in
the house 7 to 10 degrees below the set temperature on the electronic
thermostat.

The furnace does not kick on if you increase the temperature settng on the
thermostat. However, it does come on, usually, if I turn the thermostat
setting from "Heat" to "off" for a few minutes, then back to "Heat". I have
not tried restart the furnace by turning off the main power switch to the
furnace.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how much it might cost to
get it repaired?

thanks,
Jim Myers

It might cost between $100 and $3000 and its probably the dirt or the
furnace is bad and needs a new one wrapped around it.
I hope this helps.
Bubba

Stormin Mormon

It could be a cranky thermostat. It might be a bad relay. It might be a worn
out HSI. Could be a bad flame rectification sensor. Might be a bad circuit
board. Could be a bad fan limit switch. Could be an intermittent gas valve.
Might be a loose wire rubbing on a ground.

I'd be tempted to call a heating guy and get the thing overhauled.
Intermittent furnaces are like tooth aches, they don't get better on their
own.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Myers" wrote in message
Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It usually
stops in the middle of the night and we wake up to find the temperature in
the house 7 to 10 degrees below the set temperature on the electronic
thermostat.

The furnace does not kick on if you increase the temperature settng on the
thermostat. However, it does come on, usually, if I turn the thermostat
setting from "Heat" to "off" for a few minutes, then back to "Heat". I have
not tried restart the furnace by turning off the main power switch to the
furnace.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how much it might cost to
get it repaired?

thanks,
Jim Myers

High efficiency furnace - water out of outside pipe No Home Repair 6 October 24th 04 10:15 PM
Furnace not turning on Ed Home Repair 8 March 9th 04 04:35 PM
How to deal with a furnace with a need to bleed Aaron Home Repair 2 January 26th 04 01:55 AM
Should I replace a 9 year old furnace? Bill Home Repair 26 November 21st 03 02:04 AM