Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DC Motor Controller "Inhibit Circuit"?

I'm finally getting around to wiring up my Beel Inc Motor Controller.
(ebay id beelindustrial)

Basically similar to a KBIC-125. The kit I have has a forward/break/
reverse switch. The wiring diagram for the switch shows lines that go
out to the "Inhibit Circuit". This is for a "brake" type feature.

The controller is working great, but I've not experimented with the
Brake feature as I only have the 25Watt resistor hooked up which will
probably become a short lived light bulb if I flipped it on.

Any Ideas on what this should go to? I have an email out to the
company but this is the last step for getting my lathe up and running.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A standard stove burner element runs from about 25 to 45 ohms depending
on the size, rated at 1000 watts and up. I get them for free at an
appliance recyclers.

Our new Haas TL-1 came with what looked like a coffee pot burner on the
back, it was the brake resister. It would probably work nicely for
keeping the coffee warm if you were doing production work.

wrote:
I'm finally getting around to wiring up my Beel Inc Motor Controller.
(ebay id beelindustrial)

Basically similar to a KBIC-125. The kit I have has a forward/break/
reverse switch. The wiring diagram for the switch shows lines that go
out to the "Inhibit Circuit". This is for a "brake" type feature.

The controller is working great, but I've not experimented with the
Brake feature as I only have the 25Watt resistor hooked up which will
probably become a short lived light bulb if I flipped it on.

Any Ideas on what this should go to? I have an email out to the
company but this is the last step for getting my lathe up and running.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:29:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'm finally getting around to wiring up my Beel Inc Motor Controller.
(ebay id beelindustrial)

Basically similar to a KBIC-125. The kit I have has a forward/break/
reverse switch. The wiring diagram for the switch shows lines that go
out to the "Inhibit Circuit". This is for a "brake" type feature.

The controller is working great, but I've not experimented with the
Brake feature as I only have the 25Watt resistor hooked up which will
probably become a short lived light bulb if I flipped it on.

I don't know how your controller differs from a KBIC, but the inhibit
on a KBIC simply shuts off armature current - it's not a braking
function. It's been a while since I've used one, but my recollection
is that you jumper the inhibit terminals to turn off the drive output.
Leave them open and the drive functions normally. A separate (big)
relay would be required, in addition to the resistor, to set up
braking and reversing with KBIC.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

So the inhibit circuit is a separate circuit that is a stop function.
Doesn't have anything to do with the braking function.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was right though. The resistor that came with it isn't quite upto
the task, got cherry red when I hit the brake.

Tomorrow I'll go try to find a bigger resistor element when I go buy
the replacement fuse (miswired something on the switch, oops).

Thanks guys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 9:29 pm, "
wrote:
I'm finally getting around to wiring up my Beel Inc Motor Controller.
(ebay id beelindustrial)

Basically similar to a KBIC-125. The kit I have has a forward/break/
reverse switch. The wiring diagram for the switch shows lines that go
out to the "Inhibit Circuit". This is for a "brake" type feature.

The controller is working great, but I've not experimented with the
Brake feature as I only have the 25Watt resistor hooked up which will
probably become a short lived light bulb if I flipped it on.

Any Ideas on what this should go to? I have an email out to the
company but this is the last step for getting my lathe up and running.

I received a very prompt reply from Beel instructing me that I can
wire the inhibit into the main controller board on 2 of the
terminals. This makes the brake like an off switch as well as acting
as a brake.