Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default heat treatment tools

Hi
I bought some wrenches at a fire-damaged sale. They were burnt in a
fire at the tool store and were very cheap so I took the risk, but
find that they are useless and bend very easily. Is it possible to
reverse the softening by heat treating them in some way? They are ring
and openend style made from chrome-vanadium. Draper and Elora brand.
AL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al M wrote:

Hi
I bought some wrenches at a fire-damaged sale. They were burnt in a
fire at the tool store and were very cheap so I took the risk, but
find that they are useless and bend very easily. Is it possible to
reverse the softening by heat treating them in some way? They are ring
and openend style made from chrome-vanadium. Draper and Elora brand.
AL

Looks like these were heated red hot and then cooled in the ashes. Classic
way to anneal.

Do you have enough of these to make paying a commercial heat treater to heat
treat them worthwhile?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al M wrote:
Hi
I bought some wrenches at a fire-damaged sale. They were burnt in a
fire at the tool store and were very cheap so I took the risk, but
find that they are useless and bend very easily. Is it possible to
reverse the softening by heat treating them in some way? They are ring
and openend style made from chrome-vanadium. Draper and Elora brand.
AL

That must have been a hell of a fire.

How's the finish on these tools?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Dec, 21:44, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Al M wrote:
Hi
I bought some wrenches at a fire-damaged sale. They were burnt in a
fire at the tool store and were very cheap so I took the risk, but
find that they are useless and bend very easily. Is it possible to
reverse the softening by heat treating them in some way? They are ring
and openend style made from chrome-vanadium. Draper and Elora brand.
AL

That must have been a hell of a fire.

How's the finish on these tools?

I only have a few of them, but there were 1000's for sale. I think
they would have been great for art sculptures. The finish is not that
good. I brushed them with a wire wheel and they come up ok but a bit
dull with a slightly greenish colour. One of the elora ones seems
prone to rust but the others have stayed ok.
I think I might try heating to red and cooling quickly, like hardening
tool steel. Then tempering. Nothing to loose.
Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al M wrote:
[...]

Nothing but the skin on your knuckles when one fails. I would try
heating dull red and quench in ATF then heat soak in toaster oven set
on 400 for 30 minutes or so then let cool overnight in the oven before
removing. This has worked for me in the past. FWIW