Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any tips on using a plasma cutter?

I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-05, Wes wrote:
I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

As trite as it sounds, read the manual, and follow it. That helped a
lot with my Max100. Not forgetting to attach a ground clamp also
helps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-05, Wes wrote:
I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

As trite as it sounds, read the manual, and follow it. That helped a
lot with my Max100. Not forgetting to attach a ground clamp also
helps.

RTFM? Surely you jest. Real men ask their buds and if married don't listen
to their wives.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

If it's the PowerMax 600 with the G3 torch, it's the lowest capacity in
the line, but hardly a bottom of the line unit. I have the PowerMax 1000
with G3 torch and it quite happily blows through heavy plate (rated 1"
cut, 1.25" sever) and is amazingly fast and clean on thinner material
like .125". The manual has charts of cutting speeds for different
materials, thickness and currents, intended mostly for CNC operation,
but still good to get some idea of how fast you should be moving,
typically faster than you think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard that you have a hard time getting air that is dry enough. I'm
using mine out in the desert where you can't spit on the sidewalk because
it evaporates on the way down. However, my compressor seems to have it's
air inlet somewhere near the Panama canal. Although I have been using the
cutter rather successfully, I'm told there is a marked improvement when
using really dry air.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Wes wrote:

I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

If it's the PowerMax 600 with the G3 torch, it's the lowest capacity in
the line, but hardly a bottom of the line unit. I have the PowerMax 1000
with G3 torch and it quite happily blows through heavy plate (rated 1"
cut, 1.25" sever) and is amazingly fast and clean on thinner material
like .125". The manual has charts of cutting speeds for different
materials, thickness and currents, intended mostly for CNC operation,
but still good to get some idea of how fast you should be moving,
typically faster than you think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

I've heard that you have a hard time getting air that is dry enough. I'm
using mine out in the desert where you can't spit on the sidewalk because
it evaporates on the way down. However, my compressor seems to have it's
air inlet somewhere near the Panama canal. Although I have been using the
cutter rather successfully, I'm told there is a marked improvement when
using really dry air.

Improvement both in cut quality, and more importantly, consumables life.
A lot of folks (including myself) are using the refrigerated air dryer
from Harbor Freight that runs around $300 or so depending on sales and
coupons. It's a decent unit, and a lot cheaper than other refrigerated
dryers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 3:05 pm, Wes wrote:
I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

If you need to cut pipe try it with a PCS-8+

http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

RTFM? Surely you jest. Real men ask their buds and if married don't listen
to their wives.

Actually, I found it last night on another tech's desk. I'll try to read it
soon.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-05, Wes wrote:
I noticed that we now have a hypertherm 600 plasma cutter. Looks like
bottom of their line from what I gather but it does cut stuff.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Wes

What Iggy said. It's just like any other cutting device. It has settings.
It has limits. It has parameters. It has peculiarities.

It is NOT the bottom of their line, and the cutter is better than about 95%
of what's out there. Take the time to learn how to use it. Get scraps and
practice different settings and thicknesses. It's a precision piece of
machinery, and does have a learning curve. Ask again after about forty
hours.

MAIN THING is use dry air! After that, RTFM.

Steve

Experiences with the Parker Metalworking Plasma-Tec40/160yk plasma cutter/TIG welder/arc welder? Malcolm Metalworking 1 March 10th 06 01:19 PM
plasma cutter? Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 November 20th 05 03:40 AM
DIY Plasma Cutter Oakey Metalworking 1 April 23rd 04 08:43 AM
Plasma Cutter preferences? Robert Then Metalworking 10 September 25th 03 07:00 PM
Plasma cutter ? Gary R Coffman Metalworking 1 August 7th 03 06:58 PM