Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnesium: DOW 2410

I have some magnesium bar stock I picked up surplus many years ago.
It is marked DOW 2410. I thought it would be a simple matter to
google
the allow but haven't found it online. It is about thirty years old
so
perhaps the designation is obsolete?

Can someone here direct me to information on the alloy, composition
and
properties?

It might be anode stock.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
I have some magnesium bar stock I picked up surplus many years ago.
It is marked DOW 2410. I thought it would be a simple matter to
google
the allow but haven't found it online. It is about thirty years old
so
perhaps the designation is obsolete?

Can someone here direct me to information on the alloy, composition
and
properties?

It might be anode stock.

Care to sell some at a highly discounted rate to a long lost internet
friend? I'm in the market for a small piece for a very creative outdoor
fire project of sorts as unique as that may sound.

And yes, I'll sign a waiver clearing you of any responsibility for eye, skin
or otehr damage.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in

Care to sell some at a highly discounted rate to a long lost internet
friend? I'm in the market for a small piece for a very creative
outdoor fire project of sorts as unique as that may sound.

And yes, I'll sign a waiver clearing you of any responsibility for
eye, skin or otehr damage.

Joe, better get a full inkpen. I have had a magnesium accident during my
career, and the effects ain't purdy.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, better get a full inkpen. I have had a magnesium accident during my
career, and the effects ain't purdy.

They can be nasty! Hope you healed fully as some can also be permanent....

This particular application will be shielded behind a barrier with the
"light show" visable as reflected light in an outdoor atmosphere with local
police and Fire Department approval... Lots of hoops to jump thru between
aquisition and implementation.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All safety issues agreed: you can get Mg from the spent anodes out of
solar hot-water units.
I've collected a few over the years: still trying to figure a way to
*safely* melt & cast them

.... drooling over other people's stock of magnesium...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They can be nasty! Hope you healed fully as some can also be
permanent....

Yeah, pretty well healed, except for the possible increase in skin cancer
risk from the whopping dose of UV I received.

I had 100g of magnesium dust catch fire in a fuel/air explosion (not a
"boom", just a "whump"). The fireball was never closer to me than 8', but
I suffered 3rd degree burns from the brief but intense radiation.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had 100g of magnesium dust catch fire in a fuel/air explosion (not a
"boom", just a "whump"). The fireball was never closer to me than 8', but
I suffered 3rd degree burns from the brief but intense radiation.

Ouch....
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

The fireball was never closer to me than 8', but
I suffered 3rd degree burns from the brief but intense radiation.

Yowza. Would be interesting to equate to a nuclear burst, something like
100 kilotons at 1/2 mile. Did you leave a shadow on the opposing wall?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
All safety issues agreed: you can get Mg from the spent anodes out of
solar hot-water units.
I've collected a few over the years: still trying to figure a way to
*safely* melt & cast them

... drooling over other people's stock of magnesium...
--

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to
pose a problem.

So... You split the thing open and inside, there is a magnesium
somethingorother easily accessible or can it be pulled from the outside?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to
pose a problem.

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least
was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least was)
cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Working on getting one of those... All the locals want me to disassemble
the darn car for them... Plus, I think it may be too large for what I need
to do...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 5:22 pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley innews:e2W4j.428$md.278@trnddc06:

Care to sell some at a highly discounted rate to a long lost internet
friend? I'm in the market for a small piece for a very creative
outdoor fire project of sorts as unique as that may sound.

And yes, I'll sign a waiver clearing you of any responsibility for
eye, skin or otehr damage.

Joe, better get a full inkpen. I have had a magnesium accident during my
career, and the effects ain't purdy.

I was about 15 mileseEast of this fi

http://www.fireworld.com/ifw_article...ld_Heights.php

and could see the flashes on the horizon and hear the rumbling
in the distance.

The local news showed the fire spreading from one end of a
warehouse to the other, perhaps a hundred yards or so, in
about three to five seconds.

--

FF

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 7:22 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least was)
cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Working on getting one of those... All the locals want me to disassemble
the darn car for them... Plus, I think it may be too large for what I need
to do...

Disassemble the whole car, or just pull the engine?

Some were magnesium, some aluminum and you can still buy
new blocks in either metal.

AIr-cooled VW blocks are made in two pieces that bolt together
so if a block is twice as much as you need it's just right.

I'm also told that a sledge hammer can turn one into smaller
pieces in a hurry.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 8:45 pm, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Dec 3, 5:22 pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

I was about 15 miles east of this fi

http://www.fireworld.com/ifw_article...ld_Heights.php

and could see the flashes on the horizon and hear the rumbling
in the distance.

The local news showed the fire spreading from one end of a
warehouse to the other, perhaps a hundred yards or so, in
about three to five seconds.

Images here.

http://www.wkyc.com/galleries/galler...y.asp?id=14080

I think the FD was watering the nearby buildings and not the fire
itself...

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:37:40 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

All safety issues agreed: you can get Mg from the spent anodes out of
solar hot-water units.
I've collected a few over the years: still trying to figure a way to
*safely* melt & cast them

... drooling over other people's stock of magnesium...

Well, let's see. I've got a dozen 10' long 6" I-beams, non-standard
profile, looks like a rolling experiment. 35# apiece. Unknown alloy.
Any Dow designation would be obsolete, Dow quit producing Magnesium by
the early '90's.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, let's see. I've got a dozen 10' long 6" I-beams, non-standard
profile, looks like a rolling experiment. 35# apiece. Unknown alloy.
Any Dow designation would be obsolete, Dow quit producing Magnesium by
the early '90's.

Pete Keillor

Pete,

Can you take a match to it and see if... er... never mind. G
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to
pose a problem.

So... You split the thing open and inside, there is a magnesium
somethingorother easily accessible or can it be pulled from the outside?

They just unscrew. It is about a 1 inch hex plug on top. They are often in
there pretty tight, and if the water is hard, there won't be much rod left. Or
you can just buy a replacement one at Home Depot. They aren't very expensive,
so maybe it is a cheap alloy.

According to this link they are also aluminum and aluminum/zinc/tin

http://www.plumbingstore.com/sacrificial_rods.html

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least was)
cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Working on getting one of those... All the locals want me to disassemble
the darn car for them... Plus, I think it may be too large for what I need
to do...

Sorry, I tossed the only spare bad VW case I had. I'm sure you could
break or cut off a chunk the size you need.

Tony
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:53:59 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Well, let's see. I've got a dozen 10' long 6" I-beams, non-standard
profile, looks like a rolling experiment. 35# apiece. Unknown alloy.
Any Dow designation would be obsolete, Dow quit producing Magnesium by
the early '90's.

Pete Keillor

Pete,

Can you take a match to it and see if... er... never mind. G

Man, would that be the bonfire from Hell, or what. I can see the
headlines now.... AIRLINE PILOTS BLINDED BY....

I think I wrote here before about blowing out the 2" flare line with
argon. The line was plugging off with mag powder and CO. Security
called us on that one. Bright white light streamed through the window
slit in the door for a couple seconds. They told us we lit up the
south half of the county. Luckily it was about 3AM, so we didn't fry
a bunch of eyes.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can you take a match to it and see if... er... never mind. G
--

A match on a chunk of magnesium won't do much, nor will striking an arc. We
only got the approximately 1 1/2 dia X 3/8 chunk to ignite when it was set

It melted, and the flaming molten magnesium burned a hole through the
aluminum gas burner. We were able to scoop up the molten glob with a spoon
and deposit it into the garden soil.

Don't try this at home.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 9:53 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Well, let's see. I've got a dozen 10' long 6" I-beams, non-standard
profile, looks like a rolling experiment. 35# apiece. Unknown alloy.
Any Dow designation would be obsolete, Dow quit producing Magnesium by
the early '90's.

Pete Keillor

Pete,

Can you take a match to it and see if... er... never mind. G

Already did that. Just to a couple fo shavings I took off one edge
with my
SAK.

Yes, they burned brightly. I just want to be sure it doesn't have
something
really nasty like : beryllium in it.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 10:02 pm, (DT) wrote:
An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to
pose a problem.

So... You split the thing open and inside, there is a magnesium
somethingorother easily accessible or can it be pulled from the outside?

They just unscrew. It is about a 1 inch hex plug on top. They are often in
there pretty tight, and if the water is hard, there won't be much rod left. Or
you can just buy a replacement one at Home Depot. They aren't very expensive,
so maybe it is a cheap alloy.

According to this link they are also aluminum and aluminum/zinc/tin

http://www.plumbingstore.com/sacrificial_rods.html

Aluminum may or may not work depending on the
pH. It is amphiprotic which is sort of the metalurgical
analog to being bisexual.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch fired this volley in
:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

The fireball was never closer to me than 8', but
I suffered 3rd degree burns from the brief but intense radiation.

Yowza. Would be interesting to equate to a nuclear burst, something
like 100 kilotons at 1/2 mile. Did you leave a shadow on the opposing
wall?

It's interesting - no, amusing - that you ask. My nose "shadowed" the
right side of my face, and my UVA/B glasses shadowed my "goggle area".
Burns all over the light-side, but no burns in the shadows.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anthony W fired this volley in

Roger Shoaf wrote:

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't
seem to pose a problem.

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least
was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony

Those are actually "Elektron alloy", a Mg/Al solution.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 12:21 pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Roger Shoaf wrote:

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These
usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't
seem to pose a problem.

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least
was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony

Those are actually "Elektron alloy", a Mg/Al solution.

No surprise since few auto parts, or for that matter machine parts,
or for that matter almost anything where strength and stiffness
matter, are made from pure metals.

Do you know what the composition is?
I'll bet there's some copper in there too. But it wouldn't surprise
me if it's 90% + Mg.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fred the Red Shirt fired this volley in
:

Roger Shoaf wrote:

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters.
These usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it
doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at
least was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony

Those are actually "Elektron alloy", a Mg/Al solution.

No surprise since few auto parts, or for that matter machine parts,
or for that matter almost anything where strength and stiffness
matter, are made from pure metals.

Do you know what the composition is?
I'll bet there's some copper in there too. But it wouldn't surprise
me if it's 90% + Mg.

"Elektron" is a range of alloys, as in:

http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/da...oads/DS441.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 6, 12:28 pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Roger Shoaf wrote:

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters.
These usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it
doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at
least was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony

Those are actually "Elektron alloy", a Mg/Al solution.

No surprise since few auto parts, or for that matter machine parts,
or for that matter almost anything where strength and stiffness
matter, are made from pure metals.

Do you know what the composition is?
I'll bet there's some copper in there too. But it wouldn't surprise
me if it's 90% + Mg.

"Elektron" is a range of alloys, as in:

http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/da...oads/DS441.pdf

Thanks.

If I read that table correctly, it looks like they are all 90%+ Mg.
My guess would be that most would burn fiercely, though none
would be easy to ignite with a particle size on the order of an
engine case.

FWIW, Great Plains offers their aircraft engines in either Aluminum
or Magnesium, presumably alloys of course, and says that the
Aluminum engines are 14lbs heavier.

--

FF

Fun with Magnesium Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 October 10th 07 01:00 PM
Fun with Magnesium Paul Metalworking 0 October 10th 07 04:38 AM
Grundig TV MFW70-2410/7 BRASTO Electronics Repair 2 June 25th 06 05:30 PM
Fun with magnesium rod?? Laurie Forbes Metalworking 26 June 2nd 05 05:28 PM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM