Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default vibratory tumbling question

I have a couple of vibratory tumblers, one is a big home built one,
and the other is a Raytech Tumble Vibe 10. Both of those machines I
use 3/8" plastic cone type media with a FLOW THRU type rinse that
moves water and special tumbling soap.

Now I bought the smaller Tumble Vibe 5, and I need to run some zinc
die cast parts in it. The media I need to use is grit type marked 220/
F. I had it left over from some grits and pre-polishes I had bought
long ago for use with a table top Lortone rotary tumbler.

So with this system, I am not going to have a flow thru system, so I
need some suggestions for how much water and if I should put some soap
in there too? How long do I leave it in there, etc. I remember
shredding Ivory soap for use in the rotary tumbler, so I guess I will
try that again with the vibe tub?

Thanks for all who post useful and positive ideas!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Is the smaller one you just got a bowl type tumbler? If so there's
a trick a pal of mine came up with: drill a hole near the bottom, just big
enough to squoosh a rubber tire valve assembly in it. Remove innards of tire
valve, then attach a hose to the outer threaded section where the cap would
normally go. Do the same to the removable lid and you're good to go with
inlet and outlet, then hook up a fountain pump from the hardware store. Put
the small tumbler on something tall enough that you can put a decent sized
bucket beneath, for the drain hose to dump slurry and let it settle out
so pump can suck up relatively crud free stuff.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes just a bowl type tumbler. I really like that tip! This grit sure
is small, so I would have to put fine screen on the drain I guess...
to keep most of the grit in the tumbler. I thought when using the
tiny grits that most people just leave the soap and water in there for
5 or 6 hour run time, then rinse and repeat... Speaking purely out of
ignorance, is having the flowthru system superior?

thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a 1cuft bowl job. I do not use a flow thru system. I add 1/2
to 3/4 gal of water/juice stuff and run 1 hour. then drain and repeat
with next batch of parts, If I let the solids settle out I can reuse
the juice once more.

By the instructions if you get suds showing you are using too much
liquid.

Maybe you will need to dump out into a towel or old shirt to separate
your grit from your liquid if it's that fine.

Flow thru is an option on mine, don't really know if it's that much
better or not.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:08:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Yes just a bowl type tumbler. I really like that tip! This grit sure
is small, so I would have to put fine screen on the drain I guess...
to keep most of the grit in the tumbler. I thought when using the
tiny grits that most people just leave the soap and water in there for
5 or 6 hour run time, then rinse and repeat... Speaking purely out of
ignorance, is having the flowthru system superior?

thanks!

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Tumbling sand SteveB Metalworking 12 August 20th 07 02:46 PM
Another vibratory polisher question Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 3 March 29th 06 09:17 PM
Vibratory polishers Bradford Chaucer Metalworking 1 March 23rd 06 11:01 PM
tumbler vs vibratory [email protected] Metalworking 5 January 12th 05 07:10 AM
cleaning parts after tumbling Ryan Metalworking 6 July 16th 03 08:10 PM