Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RFR:Online Metal Companies

I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

TIA- Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

TIA- Carl

http://www.speedymetals.com

I have only ordered from here once, recently, and am impressed. I got a
chunk of aluminum 3.5 x 12 x 14 within 3 or 4 days. There's a company in
Michigan that couldn't deliver more common stock in a month, twice.

Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

I vote for onlinemetals.com - they're a decent outfit.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:12:40 GMT, Randy Replogle wrote:
Carl Byrns wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

http://www.speedymetals.com

Seconded with enthusiasm. I used to work a few blocks from their New
Berlin location, was a great source. Only complaint I have is with one
chunk of 4140 I got from them which was strongly magnetized, which was a
bit of a bitch for chip-clearing and general cleanup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 9:59 am, "Carl Byrns" wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

TIA- Carl

I buy stuff from McMaster-Carr from time to time. Price may not be the
cheapest but service is second to none in my opinion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:59:14 GMT, "Carl Byrns"
wrote:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

TIA- Carl

Steel and Cast Iron: Peterson Steel, Worcester MA

http://www.petersonsteel.com/

Non ferrous materials:

Metal Source, Woburn MA ask for Ed

http://www.metalsource.com/

Both will sell by the length or by the inch.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 10:59 am, "Carl Byrns" wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?

If you don't mind using eBay, I've had good luck buying from
http://stores.ebay.com/united-specialty-alloys
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Speedy-Metals-Listings-Store
http://stores.ebay.com/Alro-Drop-Center

I usually go with whomever has what I'm looking for on auction in
quantities I need for that week. I've only bought mild steel, nothing
exotic.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Errol Groff wrote:
Steel and Cast Iron: Peterson Steel, Worcester MA

http://www.petersonsteel.com/

In their library, this document ("Elements") gives a paragraph's
description of the effects of various elements when used to alloy steel:
http://www.petersonsteel.com/beta/20...Elements%2Epdf

and this - parameters of materials and their measurement (library
document "Definition of Material Testing Methods"):
http://www.petersonsteel.com/beta/20...election%2Epdf

Good broad-brush descriptions.

HOWEVER, the site does not have prices! Damn, I hate that. There are
about 40 items on their "Products" page - how hard would it be to
include the $/lb for each?

Bob