Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Questions about 3 in one machines?

Hello,

This is my first post to this group. I have always wanted to tinker
with metal working.
My shop space is limited so I was considering a Smithy combination
lathe and milling machine.
I know that it would not be as good as dedicated machinery.
My question is, would the Smithy product be a good choice or is there
a better option?
I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would get a separate lathe and mill even if it meant settling for a
smaller machine. There are many times you need to polish a pin or
shaft and it's a pain with a combo machine to be always breaking
setups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Auriga wrote:

I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Oh! Then you want a UWG! http://www.lathes.co.uk/hommel/

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have settled on a 3 in 1 machine for reasons of space etc. then look
at the shopmaster- www.shopmasterusa.com
Its by far the best of the bunch especially as a mill.
If you are still considering seperates, keep in mind the extra costs of
adding DRO, CNC , two benches etc on 2 seperate machines.

"Auriga" wrote in message
Hello,

This is my first post to this group. I have always wanted to tinker
with metal working.
My shop space is limited so I was considering a Smithy combination
lathe and milling machine.
I know that it would not be as good as dedicated machinery.
My question is, would the Smithy product be a good choice or is there
a better option?
I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

I have a Shoptask and am very happy with it. I had the same situation, only a
short section of wall space available in my house for one machine tool. I have
added the overarm support like the current generation of the Shoptask (the
Tri-power), and this stiffens the mill considerably. There are several forums
for discussing 3 in 1 machines:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...task&nav=start

http://forums.delphiforums.com/shoptaskUsers/start

Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 9:08 pm, Auriga wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post to this group. I have always wanted to tinker
with metal working.
My shop space is limited so I was considering a Smithy combination
lathe and milling machine.
I know that it would not be as good as dedicated machinery.
My question is, would the Smithy product be a good choice or is there
a better option?
I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.

The Smithy I bought new was pure junk. I cannot, with a clear
conscience, recommend one to anyone. All the fasteners were so soft
that even with the provided tool the heads rounded off within a few
tightenings. The Mill head would slip and rotate on it's column in the
middle of a job no matter how tight I got the clamps. Every time the
chuck was removed and replaced, it was never true until I loosened the
mounting bolts and centered it using a dial indicator. The column was
off plumb enough that it had to be shimmed to get it right. Junk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike,
Maybe you should sign up on the
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/
group. They have a dedicated section for 3 in 1 machines.
DJ

On Nov 23, 8:08 pm, Auriga wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post to this group. I have always wanted to tinker
with metal working.
My shop space is limited so I was considering a Smithy combination
lathe and milling machine.
I know that it would not be as good as dedicated machinery.
My question is, would the Smithy product be a good choice or is there
a better option?
I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:38:50 +0100, Nick Mueller
wrote:

Auriga wrote:

I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more
of an issue.

Oh! Then you want a UWG! http://www.lathes.co.uk/hommel/

Nick

=========================
Even tne paint is expensive
http://www.lathes.co.uk/hommel/page12.html

but I want one.

Nick - How popular were these in Germany and have you ever seen
one in the flesh?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Nick - How popular were these in Germany and have you ever seen
one in the flesh?

They are *very* rare (well maybe not, but if you have one, you'll keep it
and your children will keep it too) and you'll have to pay a collector's
price. With complete add-ons, they won't go below 5000.- EUR for the UWG 2
in mint condition.

Still want one? :-))
They pop up on eBay from time to time.

There's a similar type quite beefier and once made in Holland. Forgot the
name.

Here's more about the UWG (in German)
http://www.enhydralutris.de/Hommel/index.html

Something similar still being built (new construction, maybe 10 years old)
and almost as flexible is the GOLmatic. http://www.golmatic.de/ I have
seen that tool once. It is well made, no crap (except the lathe is not
soooo good). I once was close buying one, but then retracted because the
distance spindle nose table was too small for me. Not comparable to those
crappy Chinese 3in1!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:55:04 +0100, Nick Mueller
wrote:

They are *very* rare (well maybe not, but if you have one, you'll keep it
and your children will keep it too) and you'll have to pay a collector's
price. With complete add-ons, they won't go below 5000.- EUR for the UWG 2
in mint condition.

Still want one? :-))
They pop up on eBay from time to time.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I still want one, however I want a big new Mercedes diesel
car too. Won't be getting that either...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the input guys.

It helps a novice like myself.

Mike B.