Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Indexing options

Hello all,

I have a very simple problem that probably calls for a simple solution.
That said, I am open to "doing it right" if that is an option with
what I have available.

The problem? Given two rings, OD=2.468", two different IDs, and both
0.440" thick (all pretty much within a thou or two), I need to drill and
tap for radial 8-32 set screws. The plan is to have holes at 120 degree
intervals.

Setting aside my pride and desire to learn new techniques, all I really
need is to get the holes to be radial; I can do that with a vise and a
well-placed stop. It would be nice if they were reasonably accurately
placed around the circumference.

The closest thing I have to a dividing head is my H/V RT. I have a
tailstock for it, but I doubt that will be of any help because the
"tubes" are so short. A lathe chuck comes to mind, but I do not have
one for it, and am not in a hurry to spend money on one given how close
I am to buying a lathe. My understanding is that the chucks are
different (plain back vs. backed for the spindle), so I will probably
end up with both, just not all at the $ame time.

Given the circumstances, how would you locate the holes?

Bill