Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting square hole cast iron table top

I have an old cast iron table from a table saw. It has a small
rectangular hole in the center of the table that I want to enlarge for
a router. I thought of a metal blade and a jigsaw yet, that sounds
like it might not realistically work.

Looking for any suggestions..

Thank you,
Keith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 19, 4:21 pm, David Billington
I have an old cast iron table from a table saw. It has a small
rectangular hole in the center of the table that I want to enlarge for
a router. I thought of a metal blade and a jigsaw yet, that sounds
like it might not realistically work.

Looking for any suggestions..

Thank you,
Keith

A square file?. CI files really easily unless the edge is chilled, in
that case you might need to start with a TC grit file. This should not
take long unless the hole needs to be greatly enlarged.

Thanks,

I have to double the opening essentially making it fit a router
template. I'm not familiar with a TC grit file and I am assuming
this is a diamond hand file? Seems like that might take a while by
hand.

Keith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

TC grit file, a file with tungsten carbide grit sort of brazed to the
surface. In the UK, readily available from good DIY stores and
elsewhere, often used on tiles and the other ceramics, glass etc. I have
not seen them in square but have never looked, I do have a round and
half round though. That should only be required if the edge of the CI is
chilled in which case a normal file will just skate over the surface,
once you have removed the chilled surface a normal file should make
quick work of it, saying that you haven't given dimensions. If you
intend to enlarge the hole from 1/2" x 1/2" to 2" x 2" then that would
take a bit of work and a jig saw could help remove the bulk of the
material. Same applies, you can get TC coated jigsaw blades for cutting
ceramic materials, also work on stainless fairly well if nothing better
is to hand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 19, 4:47 pm, David Billington
[...]

is to hand.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I should have realized Carbide. I have to actually remove
about 8 inches of material going from a 8 in by 4 in wide opening to
an 12 in by 12 in opening. I'lll give it a try thanks.

Keith

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

In that case I would try the jigsaw route first, if the table permits,
as that would be quite a bit of filing, or a grinder and cutoff disc to
do most of the cuts. You can get good straight edges with a cutoff disc
by clamping a steel bar like CRS to the surface and using it as a guide.
If you can see the edge of the hole and it appears as cast then it may
be chilled, if machined then the any chilled surface may already have
been removed. I guess you don't know someone with a mill, that would be
easy work. I hope the advice was of some help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If I had your limited equipment
Id mark out where the square holewill be, comein say 1/4in. scribe lines
then center punch every 1/4 in. Drill through 1st with say ani/8 in
drill, then with a 1/4. a lot of holes but te fastest way.
This will take out most of the metal. then file up the rest to et the
hole square and strait edged.
You should be able to take out most ofthe rough with anangle grinder.
Wear amask as the iron dust will make you cough.
Ted
Dorset UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Been there, done that for another guy. Remove table, fasten to
mill table, enlarge hole with endmill, create 1/4" deep 'ledge' for router
base insert. Round corners of insert to match endmill and you're done: no
need to square corners in iron. Stronger, too, that way.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?