Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Don't throw water on grease...or molten metal

Hello all, My parents sent me the following e-mail and link about why
you shouldn't throw water on a grease fire...but it pertains to not
throwing water on molten metal too.

Be careful,
Thanksgiving Blessings to all..

Dave Drescher
http://metalshop.homestead.com

Forwarded e-mail:

30 second video....Important
Please read this, turn on your sound and watch the video.
This is so important ... as old as I am I never heard of doing the
wet towel thing... but I will remember it after seeing this.
Kitchen Fire Safety -
This is a powerful message----watch the video and don't forget what
you see. Tell your whole family about this video. Or better yet, send
this to them. This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about
how to deal with a common kitchen fire... oil in a frying pan. Please
read the following introduction and then watch the show .. It's a
real eye-opener!
At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with
a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire
suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water
onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.
The water, being heavier than the oil, sinks to the bottom where it
instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows
the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot
high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a
kitchen, the fire ball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.
*****Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup
creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite.
Please view this video clip:
(http://WWW.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-18, metalshop wrote:
Hello all, My parents sent me the following e-mail and link about why
Please view this video clip:
(http://WWW.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

very nice video.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"metalshop" wrote in message
Hello all, My parents sent me the following e-mail and
link about why
you shouldn't throw water on a grease fire...but it
pertains to not
throwing water on molten metal too.

Be careful,
Thanksgiving Blessings to all..

Dave Drescher

Actually, it does not apply to molten metal. Quite the
opposite----You can throw water
on molten metal, but you can't throw molten metal on water.
If you were to direct a
stream of water under pressure at molten metal, it might be
possible to drive it into
the melt and entrap it, but I'm talking about just
tossing/pouring water.

You want to see all H^&L break loose, dump molten metal on
damp ground. The trapped
water turns to steam, expands violently and flings molten
metal in all directions.

Water on molten metal just steams off. It looks
spectacular, and if you are too close you can
get a nasty steam burn. Possible exceptions are magnesium
and maybe titanium? I've
never seen either in a molten state.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote: (clip)Actually, it does not apply to molten metal. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right. Metals, solid or molten, are far denser than water, so the
water just sits there and boils. Heat transfer from a hot surface to water
can happen two ways. If the temperature difference is not very great, you
get "nucleate boiling," in which the steam bubbles form individually ,
detach, and rise to the surface. Get the temperature difference above a
certain point, and it changes to film boiling, in which the water sits on
top of a layer of steam, and the heat transfer actually drops. Under those
conditions, you would not get an "explosive" shower of either water or
metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please view this video clip:
(http://WWW.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

No longer available...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:10:39 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Please view this video clip:
(http://WWW.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

No longer available...

http://bonushoe.multiply.com/video/item/11

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

wrote:

Please view this video clip:
(http://WWW.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

No longer available...

http://bonushoe.multiply.com/video/item/11

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things)
http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

metalshop wrote:
Hello all, My parents sent me the following e-mail and link about why
you shouldn't throw water on a grease fire...but it pertains to not

30 second video....Important
Please read this, turn on your sound and watch the video.

What the HELL did they have in that pot? That just couldn't
have been turkey fat, but might have been some light cooking oil
heated to 400 F or more.

We had a turkey grease fire in our oven a few years ago, and I
got a bunch of water/air extinguishers mostly for shop fires,
but had them spread around the house. I knew shooting water
directly at the fire would not be good, so I shot the stream of
water at the back of the oven. it splattered and flashed to
mist on the hot oven wall and blanketed the fire pretty well.
We did get an alarming puff of black smoke with some orange
flame tinges in it that rolled up the front of the cabinet to
the ceiling, but it didn't even leave any soot. Once the fire
was mostly supressed, I let the stream hit it directly to cool
everything off to prevent it from relighting.

A good warning this time of year.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:23:03 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

metalshop wrote:
[...]

Best price I found last year on the exact item you need for a
cooking grease fire is at one of our favorite places - McMaster-Carr.
They beat my usual extinguisher shop by ~$35.

Class K Wet Kitchen Fire Extinguisher (Potassium Acetate solution)
1.59 gallon 6708T41 $142.95 Pp 1775

Not having to explain it to the Firehouse Crew... Priceless. ;-)

If you plan to get a King Kooker and deep-fry a turkey, buy one. If
you even plan to do any normal kitchen frying with a countertop deep
fryer, buy one. Peanut Oil is good to 475F without smoking (much) but
like all fryer oils once it gets lit you've got big problems.

A turkey in the oven can generate enough turkey fat to do it, but it
/is/ harder to light off. Go buy one anyway, it's cheap insurance.

All fire extinguishers get hung next to an Exit Door - ours is by
the dining area slider. (The other doors have dry chemical units.)

That way you run to grab the extinguisher at the exit door, then you
turn around and decide if that fire is still a fight you want to take
on. If you decide to fight, the storage location positions you
properly with your escape route clear.

If you're a gourmand, they now have residential sized Automatic Hood
Suppression Systems too. Same compound, automatic delivery, and a gas
shut-off trip circuit.

-- Bruce --