Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Don't throw water on grease...or molten metal

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:23:03 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

metalshop wrote:
Hello all, My parents sent me the following e-mail and link about why
you shouldn't throw water on a grease fire...but it pertains to not

30 second video....Important
Please read this, turn on your sound and watch the video.

What the HELL did they have in that pot? That just couldn't
have been turkey fat, but might have been some light cooking oil
heated to 400 F or more.

We had a turkey grease fire in our oven a few years ago, and I
got a bunch of water/air extinguishers mostly for shop fires,
but had them spread around the house. I knew shooting water
directly at the fire would not be good, so I shot the stream of
water at the back of the oven. it splattered and flashed to
mist on the hot oven wall and blanketed the fire pretty well.
We did get an alarming puff of black smoke with some orange
flame tinges in it that rolled up the front of the cabinet to
the ceiling, but it didn't even leave any soot. Once the fire
was mostly supressed, I let the stream hit it directly to cool
everything off to prevent it from relighting.

A good warning this time of year.

Best price I found last year on the exact item you need for a
cooking grease fire is at one of our favorite places - McMaster-Carr.
They beat my usual extinguisher shop by ~$35.

Class K Wet Kitchen Fire Extinguisher (Potassium Acetate solution)
1.59 gallon 6708T41 $142.95 Pp 1775

Not having to explain it to the Firehouse Crew... Priceless. ;-)

If you plan to get a King Kooker and deep-fry a turkey, buy one. If
you even plan to do any normal kitchen frying with a countertop deep
fryer, buy one. Peanut Oil is good to 475F without smoking (much) but
like all fryer oils once it gets lit you've got big problems.

A turkey in the oven can generate enough turkey fat to do it, but it
/is/ harder to light off. Go buy one anyway, it's cheap insurance.

All fire extinguishers get hung next to an Exit Door - ours is by
the dining area slider. (The other doors have dry chemical units.)

That way you run to grab the extinguisher at the exit door, then you
turn around and decide if that fire is still a fight you want to take
on. If you decide to fight, the storage location positions you
properly with your escape route clear.

If you're a gourmand, they now have residential sized Automatic Hood
Suppression Systems too. Same compound, automatic delivery, and a gas
shut-off trip circuit.

-- Bruce --