Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chimney pipe

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
news:...

"Up North" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The

slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up

these
joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is

there
something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You shouldn't need to seal them if it is installed

right.
The right way is
the joint is lapped so the creosote doesn't run out and

down your pipe.
Round here tis a sure sign of a greenhorn. Also put

three
sheetmetal screws
in each joint.

Steve

Creosote should never run out of your pipes! If it is you
are firing _way_
too low! The inside of your stove should be white if you

are
firing up
like you should be! A hot house has a clean

chimney......;)
phil kangas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.. .

"Up North" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

That may be so but it doesn't change the way the pipes should be installed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:28:28 -0600, "Up North"
wrote:

. ..

"Up North" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Then, why is it that every wood stove I ever saw had a male connection
on the stove. As far as securing the sections together, put a loop of
stove pipe wire (19 Ga. black, soft iron wire, now used to tie rebar,
etc.) around the vertical pipe, then once around every six feet (or
thereabouts) on the horizontal run and anchor it either to the next
vertical or to a hook in the chimney; also support the horizontal run
every six feet with a loop of said wire to a hook in the ceiling. Take
your stovepipes out and clean them every month.
At least this is the way my father, grandfather and their ancestors
did it and obviously they weren't burned to death in a house fire!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

"Up North" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with you on this one Gerry!
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html

Chimney pipe SteveB Metalworking 16 December 6th 07 07:04 AM
Chimney Pipe David Martel Home Repair 2 August 14th 06 11:01 PM
stove pipe in chimney Adiabatic Home Repair 4 May 16th 06 04:51 PM
how to convert brick chimney to metal pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 02:17 PM
WTB 6" class A chimney pipe in Denver metro area Charles Home Repair 0 July 20th 05 03:23 AM