Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chimney pipe

I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You're using the proper double walled modular chimney pipe for wood
stoves I hope? The single wall stuff is for gas fireplace inserts and
the like and is not safe for use with a wood stove. If you're using the
correct items, you do not need any additional sealant. Also remember
that the metal will be expanding and contracting and JB Weld would
likely be a disaster.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You shouldn't need to seal them if it is installed right. The right way is
the joint is lapped so the creosote doesn't run out and down your pipe.
Round here tis a sure sign of a greenhorn. Also put three sheetmetal screws
in each joint.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Up North" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The

slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these

joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there

something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You shouldn't need to seal them if it is installed right.

The right way is
the joint is lapped so the creosote doesn't run out and

down your pipe.
Round here tis a sure sign of a greenhorn. Also put three

sheetmetal screws
in each joint.

Steve

Creosote should never run out of your pipes! If it is you
are firing _way_
too low! The inside of your stove should be white if you are
firing up
like you should be! A hot house has a clean chimney......;)
phil kangas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 9:48 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

There are gaskets specifically made for this purpose - the place you
bought the stove would have them....
Get copy of the relevant installation standards as well, might be
illuminating for you....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 10:49 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
SteveB wrote:

I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You're using the proper double walled modular chimney pipe for wood
stoves I hope? The single wall stuff is for gas fireplace inserts and
the like and is not safe for use with a wood stove. If you're using the
correct items, you do not need any additional sealant. Also remember
that the metal will be expanding and contracting and JB Weld would
likely be a disaster.

I would not use JB Weld. It will not last long. I think the best
stuff is furnace cement. It will crack, but you really don't need a
perfect seal.

The single wall stove pipe is safe to use, but not where the pipe goes
thru the wall or roof.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

The single wall stove pipe is safe to use, but not where the pipe goes
thru the wall or roof.

Dan

Too ease everyone's fears, the single wall pipe goes into the ceiling box,
then a triple wall takes it through the short attic space. All a vertical
run. I just had a couple of small places I was concerned about.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You're using the proper double walled modular chimney pipe for wood
stoves I hope? The single wall stuff is for gas fireplace inserts and
the like and is not safe for use with a wood stove. If you're using the
correct items, you do not need any additional sealant. Also remember
that the metal will be expanding and contracting and JB Weld would
likely be a disaster.

Draft, then the soot from the smoke, will seal single wall chimney pipe.

Stove pipe cement maybe?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 5:48 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

I have one slip joint where the black iron pipe goes (a long way) into
the stainless steel adapter for the double-wall chimney. I sealed it
by wrapping all my spare flat door gasketing around the joint.

3 screws is the standard but I like to use 4 or 6 stainless steel
flanged hex head screws which are easier to drive straight than
Phillips, so the holes aren't damaged when I reassemble the flue after
cleaning and inspection.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
wrote

The single wall stove pipe is safe to use, but not where the pipe goes
thru the wall or roof.

Dan

Too ease everyone's fears, the single wall pipe goes into the ceiling box,
then a triple wall takes it through the short attic space. All a vertical
run. I just had a couple of small places I was concerned about.

Steve

Just use little short self tapping screws, Steve. One per joint is
really adequate, unless you've got some horizontal distance that's
unsupported. I don't know of anything that'll "seal" the joints
reliably, short of welding them, because of the constant expansion and
contraction.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 9:20 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote

The single wall stovepipeis safe to use, but not where thepipegoes
thru the wall or roof.

Dan

Too ease everyone's fears, the single wallpipegoes into the ceiling box,
then a triple wall takes it through the short attic space. All a vertical
run. I just had a couple of small places I was concerned about.

Steve

http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:13:35 -0800 (PST), Pipe Man
wrote:

spam = plonk
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 11:25 pm, Trevor Jones wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
SteveB wrote:

I just put in some chimney pipe for a wood stove. The slip joints have a
little space in them. What is good for sealing up these joints?

My first thought was JB Weld. Is that good, or is there something that
would stick to the metal at those temperatures?

Steve

You're using the proper double walled modular chimney pipe for wood
stoves I hope? The single wall stuff is for gas fireplace inserts and
the like and is not safe for use with a wood stove. If you're using the
correct items, you do not need any additional sealant. Also remember
that the metal will be expanding and contracting and JB Weld would
likely be a disaster.

Draft, then the soot from the smoke, will seal single wall chimney pipe.

Stove pipe cement maybe?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Trevor is dead right. the seal is unimportant.
as soon as there is hot air rising through the pipe any not perfectly
sealed joint will only be sucking room air INTO it not out.

Basically once the draft is established the hot air rising up through
the chimney is MOVING AIR. the air in the fireplace room (My rec
roomin my case) is static air that is barely moving at all at best.

Air in motion exerts less pressure thna air not moving so therefor the
non moving air will flow INTO the imperfectly sealed single wall stove
pipe joint and go up the chimney. In itself that is actually
desirable. it is less efficient as a means of heating BUT it makes it
impossible for carbon monoxide to enter the house. Unless i'm stoking
the fire i cannot smell my woodstove because all the airflow having
combustion applied to it is being fed up and out.

I love the fireplace smoke smell but i like living
my driveway and porch smell like my fire my house does not due to the
partially burned products not entering the house itself

Chimney Pipe David Martel Home Repair 2 August 14th 06 11:01 PM
stove pipe in chimney Adiabatic Home Repair 4 May 16th 06 04:51 PM
how to convert brick chimney to metal pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 02:17 PM
WTB 6" class A chimney pipe in Denver metro area Charles Home Repair 0 July 20th 05 03:23 AM
Flue Damper on double-wall chimney pipe?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 26th 04 04:51 PM