Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleanup after tapping AL

Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?
[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

I use JP1 fuel or acetone. I'm sure it's the worst thing to use but it
degreases like a m-f... The JP1 leaves a oil to prevent rust but that's no
problem on your AL.

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five plates
(stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the slurry of
oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and Aluminum chips
that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Spray bottle of kerosene, a scrub brush followed by compressed air (outside,
with eye & ear protection). That'll get you started.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear
the slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Spray bottle of kerosene, a scrub brush followed by compressed air
(outside,
with eye & ear protection). That'll get you started.

What I have done so far is run a machine screw through the hole using an
electric driver, wipe off the slurry, and reverse the screw, then follow
with household cleaner. Your idea sounds worth a shot. How does the
scrub brush enter into it? The holes are 8-32.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five plates
(stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the slurry of
oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and Aluminum chips
that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Blow them off and put them in the dishwasher...the lazy solution!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dont do the dishwasher.... I cost me about 350, for a new dishwasher, when
the wife caught me cleaning a carb in it... of course, that was 2 years ago,
so the dishwasher is gone now and come to think about it... so is that
wife!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx....
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
et...

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Blow them off and put them in the dishwasher...the lazy solution!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Our shop uses compressed air to blow them out, making a
HORRENDOUS shrieking noise. They all wear earplugs all day.

I use some stuff called alum-tap that is great for tapping
aluminum. (I do some machine tapping at up to 1200 RPM for 4-40
threads.) I then clean them out with my own scheme, which is
twirling the corner of a piece of paper towel into a point. I
then poke it through the hole and twist it from the pointy end.
I can do this about as fast as the CNC tapping machine
drill-taps them. I'm sure there is a better way.

The alum-tap is pretty thin stuff, and wipes off with paper
towels. Nowhere as sticky as threading oil.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon,

Our shop uses compressed air to blow them out, making a HORRENDOUS
shrieking noise. They all wear earplugs all day.

I use some stuff called alum-tap that is great for tapping aluminum. (I
do some machine tapping at up to 1200 RPM for 4-40 threads.) I then
clean them out with my own scheme, which is twirling the corner of a
piece of paper towel into a point. I then poke it through the hole and
twist it from the pointy end.
I can do this about as fast as the CNC tapping machine drill-taps them.
I'm sure there is a better way.

I am wondering whether pipe cleaners might be a good tool for this??? I
do not have any, but from a quick scan of the web, crafts stores look
like the best bet.

The alum-tap is pretty thin stuff, and wipes off with paper towels.
Nowhere as sticky as threading oil.

Sadly, I am using "mystery oil" (10W30??) from a cheap oil can that I
filled a long time ago. I use it for things between light oil and
Vactra, which lives in the best working oiler I have on hand.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been having very good results with a water soluable synthetic(?)
cutting lubricant for drilling, tapping, sawing, knurling and turning on the
lathe.. steel, ss, brass and aluminum.

The stuff is marketed by Lenox (a cutting tool brand, band saw blades etc),
named Pro Tool Lube. The label states that it contains no silicone, is
biodegradeable, and I think the stuff is glycerine-based.
It's given excellent performance for all the cutting tasks mentioned above,
and it rinses away with water, so I can shoot a stream of water from a
trigger-spray bottle into (or thru) holes to flush cutting chips out easily.

There is no troublesome film or oily residue remaining after a plain water
flush/rinse.
When I want to paint parts that I've used the PTL on, I don't need to do any
other preparation, other than what I'd normally do for bare metals.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five plates
(stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the slurry of
oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and Aluminum chips
that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:08:57 -0400, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Jon,

Our shop uses compressed air to blow them out, making a HORRENDOUS
shrieking noise. They all wear earplugs all day.

I use some stuff called alum-tap that is great for tapping aluminum. (I
do some machine tapping at up to 1200 RPM for 4-40 threads.) I then
clean them out with my own scheme, which is twirling the corner of a
piece of paper towel into a point. I then poke it through the hole and
twist it from the pointy end.
I can do this about as fast as the CNC tapping machine drill-taps them.
I'm sure there is a better way.

I am wondering whether pipe cleaners might be a good tool for this??? I
do not have any, but from a quick scan of the web, crafts stores look
like the best bet.

I use a mascara brush. it is like a miniature bottle washing brush.

....and cleaning swarf out of tapped holes is all I use it for :-)

friend of mine made his own brushes using a row of bristles and
aircraft lockwire twisted up.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner put them in there with the holes up
(if they're blind). Poke a wire in each hole to dislodge any air
bubbles. Oil will rise up put of them like smoke from a chimney.
Randy
```````````````````````````````````````` `
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-17, Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

Slosh it around in some solvent?

Or blow it with compressed air (preferably outside).

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use kerosene or diesel fuel to lubricate when cutting alumimum and
that is a lot thinner than what you must be using. It this case, the
cuttings (not sure what the "slurry" is) aren't so hard to get rid of
with compressed air.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

I am wondering whether pipe cleaners might be a good tool for this??? I
do not have any, but from a quick scan of the web, crafts stores look
like the best bet.

Never tried it, but it sounds like a VERY good idea! Crafts
stores definitely do have them. I think I am going to pick
some up and try them out.

Sadly, I am using "mystery oil" (10W30??) from a cheap oil can that I
filled a long time ago. I use it for things between light oil and
Vactra, which lives in the best working oiler I have on hand.

Gee, you DON'T want a lubricant for tapping, the idea is to let
the edge CUT the metal. Tapping formulas are made to help that
happen.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

Many methods work. Depends on how much work you want to do
and what your budget is like.... My home-shop method is the solvent
soak/wipe. I use isopropyl alcohol, which is somewhat less unhealthy
and safer than acetone. In the case of blind holes, I like to use a
syringe and some kind of needle to flush the hole with solvent. You
can always follow that with compressed air, as long as you don't
mind wearing some of the small chips that come out of the holes at
230 mph.
Ultrasonic cleaners are fabulous for this, but pricey for a good-size
one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

Grant,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear
the slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to
work.

Spray bottle of kerosene, a scrub brush followed by compressed air
(outside,
with eye & ear protection). That'll get you started.

What I have done so far is run a machine screw through the hole using an
electric driver, wipe off the slurry, and reverse the screw, then follow
with household cleaner. Your idea sounds worth a shot. How does the
scrub brush enter into it? The holes are 8-32.

Bill

Blow them out first. Makes the rest a lot easier.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:13:58 -0500, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the
slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Spray in hole with Simple Green.
Rinse with water.
That's usually enough.

Blow with compressed air if necessary.

Wayne D.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon,

Sadly, I am using "mystery oil" (10W30??) from a cheap oil can that I
filled a long time ago. I use it for things between light oil and
Vactra, which lives in the best working oiler I have on hand.

Gee, you DON'T want a lubricant for tapping, the idea is to let the edge
CUT the metal. Tapping formulas are made to help that happen.

Fair enough. That might explain the small chips in the slurry. Do you
have a favorite fluid? I have heard that Tap Magic is great, but IIRC,
I also read that it stinks something awful???

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Jon Elson :
Bill Schwab wrote:

[ ... ]

Sadly, I am using "mystery oil" (10W30??) from a cheap oil can that I
filled a long time ago. I use it for things between light oil and
Vactra, which lives in the best working oiler I have on hand.

Gee, you DON'T want a lubricant for tapping, the idea is to let
the edge CUT the metal. Tapping formulas are made to help that
happen.

Except for roll tapping, I presume.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been having very good results with a water soluable synthetic(?)
cutting lubricant for drilling, tapping, sawing, knurling and turning on the
lathe.. steel, ss, brass and aluminum.

The stuff is marketed by Lenox (a cutting tool brand, band saw blades etc),
named Pro Tool Lube. The label states that it contains no silicone, is
biodegradeable, and I think the stuff is glycerine-based.
It's given excellent performance for all the cutting tasks mentioned above,
and it rinses away with water, so I can shoot a stream of water from a
trigger-spray bottle into (or thru) holes to flush cutting chips out easily.

There is no troublesome film or oily residue remaining after a plain water
flush/rinse.
When I want to paint parts that I've used the PTL on, I don't need to do any
other preparation, other than what I'd normally do for bare metals.

Pipe cleaners work well, although the ones that are made for crafts seem to
be fuzzy synthetic stuff, and not like good 'ol fashioned pipe cleaners.
Gun cleaning bore brushes are handy too, and there are solvent-proof brushes
for cleaning the siphon tubes of paint spraying guns.

I get the Lenox PTL at Fastenal.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Hello all,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five plates
(stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the slurry of
oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and Aluminum chips
that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to work.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Jon,

Sadly, I am using "mystery oil" (10W30??) from a cheap oil can that I
filled a long time ago. I use it for things between light oil and
Vactra, which lives in the best working oiler I have on hand.

Gee, you DON'T want a lubricant for tapping, the idea is to let the edge
CUT the metal. Tapping formulas are made to help that happen.

Fair enough. That might explain the small chips in the slurry. Do you
have a favorite fluid? I have heard that Tap Magic is great, but IIRC,
I also read that it stinks something awful???

Bill

Tap Magic has a mild "oily" odor, not at all objectionable... until it
burns. If you use it as a cutting oil on a machine tool (lathe, mill, etc.)
that you are running hard enough that the smoke rolls, the smoke from Tap
Magic will do a number on your respiratory system. But, for hand tapping,
etc., there is absolutely no problem.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five plates
(stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear the slurry of
oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and Aluminum chips
that is dripping from the holes?

Use a forming tap that doesn't leave chips?