Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

Default Bought a swaging machine - what can I do with it ???

Hi All

Found a hand operated swaging machine in the skip at the scrap yard
and bought it scrap value - I didn't know what it was when I bought
it, but apart from a little rust it is still fully functional and I
just could not resist it.

It looks like this one http://www.maneklalexports.com/Engli...Universal-Hand
but mine Has a Jorg makers plate on it. "Seaming machine" was written
on it with permanent maker.

It only has the set of rolls that are on it - a lipped and recessed
pair like the first swaging roll set at the link above.

What can I use it for ???? Any info for using it would be appreciated.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It looks like this one http://www.maneklalexports.com/Engli...c.htm#Universa...
but mine Has a Jorg makers plate on it. "Seaming machine" was written
on it with permanent maker.

It only has the set of rolls that are on it - a lipped and recessed
pair like the first swaging roll set at the link above.

What can I use it for ???? Any info for using it would be appreciated.

Tim

I think auto-body guys use those to put edges on on sheet metal. I'm
sure someone on this group knows more, but if not, you might try an
auto or sheet metal fabrication list.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The import knock off from Horrible Freight is here;
Instruction manual (for what it's worth!) at
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...4999/34104.PDF

Depending on the dies/rollers, these can be used to put a beaded end on
a tube, cut sheet metal in fancy curves for weird ductwork, make the
various preset flanges on sheet metal prior to making ductwork, etc.

Yours is an essential machine for fancy curved ductwork. After that, not
much call for it. Probably why it was in the scrap bin.

TMN wrote:
Hi All

Found a hand operated swaging machine in the skip at the scrap yard
and bought it scrap value - I didn't know what it was when I bought
it, but apart from a little rust it is still fully functional and I
just could not resist it.

It looks like this one http://www.maneklalexports.com/Engli...Universal-Hand
but mine Has a Jorg makers plate on it. "Seaming machine" was written
on it with permanent maker.

It only has the set of rolls that are on it - a lipped and recessed
pair like the first swaging roll set at the link above.

What can I use it for ???? Any info for using it would be appreciated.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many uses for doing tubing ends and sheet metal fab. If you study the
pics in the link, you can see how I swaged ribs into the aluminum cover
for the Genset using a similar swager.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/gen.htm

TMN wrote:
Hi All

Found a hand operated swaging machine in the skip at the scrap yard
and bought it scrap value - I didn't know what it was when I bought
it, but apart from a little rust it is still fully functional and I
just could not resist it.

It looks like this one http://www.maneklalexports.com/Engli...Universal-Hand
but mine Has a Jorg makers plate on it. "Seaming machine" was written
on it with permanent maker.

It only has the set of rolls that are on it - a lipped and recessed
pair like the first swaging roll set at the link above.

What can I use it for ???? Any info for using it would be appreciated.

Tim

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

TMN wrote:
Hi All

Found a hand operated swaging machine in the skip at the scrap yard
and bought it scrap value - I didn't know what it was when I bought
it, but apart from a little rust it is still fully functional and I
just could not resist it.

It looks like this one http://www.maneklalexports.com/Engli...Universal-Hand
but mine Has a Jorg makers plate on it. "Seaming machine" was written
on it with permanent maker.

It only has the set of rolls that are on it - a lipped and recessed
pair like the first swaging roll set at the link above.

What can I use it for ???? Any info for using it would be appreciated.

Tim

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Thanks Jason - I was afraid that every one was in cahoots with my
wife (who thinks it should have stayed in the skip) !!!

Are the ribs purely to give strength to the sheet metal ?
I only have those "rib" dies, can they be used for anything else but
ribs ? any suggestions would be appreciated as I know nothing about
sheet metal work.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used mine to bead the panel retaining the fuel cell and made another set
of dies to roll the edge.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...MVC-027S-1.jpg
I salvaged mine as a rusty hunk of scrap going to the dump from an old mine
super's house. It is a deep Pexto, serial number 45, no idea how old it is.
--
Stupendous Man,