Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default oil country lathe

hi all

has anyone any experience with oil country lathes? anyone suggest
some good, reliable, heavy duty oil country lathes? anyone had any
bad experiences with any manufacturers?
please help as am needing to buy soon.

i have been looking on a href="http://www.findamachine.com"oil
country lathes/a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lathes" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi all

has anyone any experience with oil country lathes? anyone suggest
some good, reliable, heavy duty oil country lathes? anyone had any
bad experiences with any manufacturers?
please help as am needing to buy soon.

i have been looking on a href="http://www.findamachine.com"oil
country lathes/a

You should ask this on alt.machines.cnc, as well. Not many hobbyists have
lathes with 30-foot beds. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lathes wrote:
hi all

has anyone any experience with oil country lathes? anyone suggest
some good, reliable, heavy duty oil country lathes? anyone had any
bad experiences with any manufacturers?
please help as am needing to buy soon.

i have been looking on a href="http://www.findamachine.com"oil
country lathes/a

What's an oil country lathe?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
lathes wrote:
hi all

has anyone any experience with oil country lathes? anyone suggest
some good, reliable, heavy duty oil country lathes? anyone had any
bad experiences with any manufacturers?
please help as am needing to buy soon.

i have been looking on a href="http://www.findamachine.com"oil
country lathes/a

What's an oil country lathe?

A really long one, 25 feet or more. They're used for machining the ends of
oil well pipe and related jobs.

Much shorter but big-bore lathes are often called "oil country lathes"
today.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

. ..

lathes wrote:
hi all

has anyone any experience with oil country lathes? anyone suggest
some good, reliable, heavy duty oil country lathes? anyone had any
bad experiences with any manufacturers?
please help as am needing to buy soon.

i have been looking on a href="http://www.findamachine.com"oil
country lathes/a

What's an oil country lathe?

A really long one, 25 feet or more. They're used for machining the ends of
oil well pipe and related jobs.

Much shorter but big-bore lathes are often called "oil country lathes"
today.

--
Ed Huntress

IIRC the main ingredient for an oil field lathe (which
we sometimes called "hollow spindle lathes") was
a large hole through the spindle. Many of the ma-
chines, such as Gisholt, were set-up as turret
lathes to handle the cutting, trimming, threading
operations. The largest capacity machine we
ever rebuilt had somewhere around a 14" to 16"
hole through the spindle.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

. ..

lathes wrote:
[...]

As I tried to imply, the term has been modified some over the years.
Oil-country lathes originally were very long, in addition to having a big
spindle bore. In recent decades it's more common to call any lathe with a
big hollow spindle, some of them quite short, an oil country lathe.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spindle bore. In recent decades it's more common to call any lathe with a
big hollow spindle, some of them quite short, an oil country lathe.

In that case, I have an oil country lathe to sell.

Mazak M4 22"x72", 3+" spindle bore, twin turret, with tooling. New control
(Camsoft). I'll take $5K without the Camsoft license, $9K with.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Karl,

What means this here, "Camsoft license" ?

Bob (been around Iggy too long and it's rubbing off) Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
spindle bore. In recent decades it's more common to call any lathe with a
big hollow spindle, some of them quite short, an oil country lathe.

In that case, I have an oil country lathe to sell.

Mazak M4 22"x72", 3+" spindle bore, twin turret, with tooling. New control
(Camsoft). I'll take $5K without the Camsoft license, $9K with.

I think the idea is around 5 or 6 inches plus.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 8:57 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

m...

lathes wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

Oil country lathe = oil field lathe? Which is what we
called them in the used machinery business.

I imagine the term may have been modified because of
changes in tooling, material or some such. The people
we sold these oilfield machines to (all people in oil related
industries by the way) never asked us for long lathes, but
were intensely interested in the size hole through the spindle
and the machines we rebuilt were all short (relatively) beds.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rigger" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 5, 8:57 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

m...

lathes wrote:
[...]

Yup, same thing.

I imagine the term may have been modified because of
changes in tooling, material or some such. The people
we sold these oilfield machines to (all people in oil related
industries by the way) never asked us for long lathes, but
were intensely interested in the size hole through the spindle
and the machines we rebuilt were all short (relatively) beds.

dennis
in nca

I think the early ones didn't have through-holes that were quite as big as
the ones built since WWII. They'd put a whole section of pipe between
centers. Some of those beds ran over 30' in length.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Raoul" wrote in message ...
Ed Huntress wrote:

I imagine the term may have been modified because of
changes in tooling, material or some such. The people
we sold these oilfield machines to (all people in oil related
industries by the way) never asked us for long lathes, but
were intensely interested in the size hole through the spindle
and the machines we rebuilt were all short (relatively) beds.

dennis
in nca

I think the early ones didn't have through-holes that were quite as big
as the ones built since WWII. They'd put a whole section of pipe between
centers. Some of those beds ran over 30' in length.

--
Ed Huntress

How about 60+ feet?

http://www.oil-country-lathes.com/

Hmmm. 800" between centers. Now, that's a real oil patch lathe, pard'.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What means this here, "Camsoft license" ?

Camsoft CNC pro sells for $4500 per package. There's a license number and
dongle that goes with each seat. You're allowed to move the dongle between
machines but only run one at a time.

Anyway, this machine won't run without buying a Camsoft software package.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message

Karl,

What means this here, "Camsoft license" ?

Bob (been around Iggy too long and it's rubbing off) Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ctanews.com...

spindle bore. In recent decades it's more common to call any lathe with a
big hollow spindle, some of them quite short, an oil country lathe.

In that case, I have an oil country lathe to sell.

Mazak M4 22"x72", 3+" spindle bore, twin turret, with tooling. New control
(Camsoft). I'll take $5K without the Camsoft license, $9K with.

I think the idea is around 5 or 6 inches plus.

Yes, and the ones I've seen had 2 chucks, one on each end of the spindle.
So, one chuck where it normally is, the other is at the "back" end, to
help support a long pipe.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message

om...

lathes wrote:

[...]

They usually have a double chuck on them, one on each side of the
spindle hole. I wish I had one in the shop.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:

On Oct 5, 8:57 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

roups.com...

"Abrasha" wrote in message

news:isednWAcOvc405vanZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@comcast. com...

lathes wrote:

[...]

The oil drilling bars have those API tapered threads on the ends that
constantly get worn. If you get them too worn you will lose your string
or bars down the hole.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:

I imagine the term may have been modified because of
changes in tooling, material or some such. The people
we sold these oilfield machines to (all people in oil related
industries by the way) never asked us for long lathes, but
were intensely interested in the size hole through the spindle
and the machines we rebuilt were all short (relatively) beds.

The place up the road has a hole in the wall and steadies outside. Only
enough to make it through the headstock ever comes in the building.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

The oil drilling bars have those API tapered threads on the ends that
constantly get worn. If you get them too worn you will lose your string
or bars down the hole.

Up to a few months ago, my sister worked for a fishing tool rental company.
Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:57:13 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 5, 8:16 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

. ..

lathes wrote:
[...]

I moved then set up a MoriSeiki LS-6 yesterday. Its CNC, with a 20"
spindle bore.

Used to thread pipe, with special threads

Gunner