Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JCM JCM is offline

Default Standard Modern tailstock...

It's been a year since I purchased my Standard Modern 1120 lathe - it
was missing the tailstock. Yet still no luck finding a replacement,
other than a new unit from LeBlond that'd cost more than the lathe did.
I'd rather not have to adapt a tailstock unit from some other make,
so... is there anyone out there who has one, or know where one exists???

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 1:57 am, JCM wrote:
It's been a year since I purchased my Standard Modern 1120 lathe - it
was missing the tailstock. Yet still no luck finding a replacement,
other than a new unit from LeBlond that'd cost more than the lathe did.
I'd rather not have to adapt a tailstock unit from some other make,
so... is there anyone out there who has one, or know where one exists???

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

this might be a silly question but standard modern are still in
operation, where does Leblond fit into the equation?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JCM JCM is offline

Brent wrote:
On Oct 5, 1:57 am, JCM wrote:

It's been a year since I purchased my Standard Modern 1120 lathe - it
was missing the tailstock. Yet still no luck finding a replacement,
other than a new unit from LeBlond that'd cost more than the lathe did.
I'd rather not have to adapt a tailstock unit from some other make,
so... is there anyone out there who has one, or know where one exists???

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

this might be a silly question but standard modern are still in
operation, where does Leblond fit into the equation?

I believe LeBlond has the exclusive(?) rights to sell the SM parts.
Standard Modern themselves directed me to LeBlond.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 4:53 am, JCM wrote:
Brent wrote:
On Oct 5, 1:57 am, JCM wrote:

It's been a year since I purchased my Standard Modern 1120 lathe - it
was missing the tailstock. Yet still no luck finding a replacement,
other than a new unit from LeBlond that'd cost more than the lathe did.
I'd rather not have to adapt a tailstock unit from some other make,
so... is there anyone out there who has one, or know where one exists???

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

this might be a silly question but standard modern are still in
operation, where does Leblond fit into the equation?

I believe LeBlond has the exclusive(?) rights to sell the SM parts.
Standard Modern themselves directed me to LeBlond.

Perhaps i'm oversimplifying here but it does not seem too difficult
to make your own from stock

Perhaps using the mechanisms form the Gingery Lathe (Available as a
reprint form lindsay books) if you want since that book shows how to
make a lathe without having a lathe but perhaps replace the cast
aluminum with steel in this case.

Depending on what you paid and the cost of the "sweat equity" of
making it yourself it might well be worth it form steel stock

Alternatively you could find a headstock of a taiwanese chinese or old
american lathe of a larger size and try shrinking it to fit?

if i did not have a tailstock i would not consider it an impossible
element of tooling to make, Challenging yes, impossible no

Brent
Ottawa Canada