Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JCM

Default Need tailstock for Standard Modern...

Greetings All. I have just purchased my first lathe - a Standard Modern
Model 1120. The price reflected the fact that the tailstock, steady
rest, follow rest, and chucks are all missing. While Leblond USA
handles OEM parts, they are new and $$$$$. I would appreciate any and
all contacts for used replacements. Are there other SM models that use
the exact same pieces? I'm located in Western Canada, but more than
happy to deal with long distance shipping to get what I need. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:37:02 GMT, JCM wrote:

Greetings All. I have just purchased my first lathe - a Standard Modern
Model 1120. The price reflected the fact that the tailstock, steady
rest, follow rest, and chucks are all missing. While Leblond USA
handles OEM parts, they are new and $$$$$. I would appreciate any and
all contacts for used replacements. Are there other SM models that use
the exact same pieces? I'm located in Western Canada, but more than
happy to deal with long distance shipping to get what I need. Thanks.

The tail stock is going to be the big bit issue. The other stuff is
not often used, and can be kluged up easily enough. Im in the process
of converting a 10" Atlas steady for use on a Hardinge HLV-H.

You will have the best luck finding the tailstock in Canada, most
likely..but if you have no luck..find center height above tailstock
ways..and Ill see what I can dig up, that you might be able to modify
to fit.

Ive got about 3-4 14" Logan tailstocks at the moment, all looking for
homes.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

JCM wrote:

Greetings All. I have just purchased my first lathe - a Standard Modern
Model 1120. The price reflected the fact that the tailstock, steady
rest, follow rest, and chucks are all missing. While Leblond USA
handles OEM parts, they are new and $$$$$. I would appreciate any and
all contacts for used replacements. Are there other SM models that use
the exact same pieces? I'm located in Western Canada, but more than
happy to deal with long distance shipping to get what I need. Thanks.

You can get lucky, but I expect that you will be running against pretty
long odds on finding the correct tailstock.

Lots of SM lathes ended up in schools, and more than a few went to the
USAF for some reason, though most of them were larger.

One option that may work for you is to aquire a different tailstock and
make a new base plate or have one made. I have seen some pictures online
of completely fabricated tailstocks that appeared to be better than
merely servicable. Do you weld?

If the shipping,etc does not put you off, try contacting Joe Bergamo at
Plaza Machinery in Vermont http://www.plazamachinery.com/Metal.html

There are other machine tool dealers out there too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Since I retired, I am not into the know on when and where used
machines tools are heading and when, but after talking to a good
friend and mentioning a tailstock for a S-M, he informed me they
currently have a 11 x 20 and an 11 x 30 setting outside now for over 2
years waiting to be turned in as scrap. They were both "condemed" and
have been setting uncovered or protected all that time, along with
some other machine tools...... If and when the paper work ever gets
done, and they accept the condemed status they get hauled to the local
scrap yard, and if salvageable they go to the DRMO yard......odds are
they will go scrap yard due to way they were set on a pallet and
pushed outside. They were totally complete setups with collets,
drawbars coolant pumps, boring bars etc........the works, most of
which have been already pilfered while setting there.........

The USAF and U S Army had a ****pot full of them at one time and their
mobile machine shop trucks used to be equipped with them. So I would
also check in any DRMO yards as you never know what may turn up. If
you live near any large military bases or support facilities you may
get lucky and find one.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Try Mickey Takeda Tool in Hamilton Ontario. 905-549-4243 . Except for
the fact that they take my money on a regular basis, no affiliation. He
regularly buys out school machine shop auctions in Onatario. Last time I
went into his back room, he had more than a dozen Standard Modern lathes
in this size range, and his shelves are stacked with used parts!

Good luck.