Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Project help needed- Turbine engine

RDF wrote:
Hey Guys,

Fall is here and the drag engines are coming in for freshening and all.
Needless to say, all the client's free cash is not being spent until Tax
returns hit the mail so I am starting my project that has been a "to-do" for
a while but I am in need of some subject matter experts or someone who has
military or civilian turbine engine experience. I started this last year and
it's been in the corner of one of the buildings.
I am building a golf cart with a small turbine engine from an GSU/Huffer
and I am not at all familiar with this platform.
I totally understand the dangers involved. I want to convert from shaft
drive to thrust with afterburner for show only

Well, these small engines don't produce much thrust, you may not
be able to even break static drag unless you change your golf
cart to use bicycle tires. I think people have gotten something
like 60 - 80 Lbs of static thrust out of them for microplanes.
The GSU/Huffer engines don't generally produce much shaft power,
anyway, just enough to turn an aircraft generator, so that's
about 12 Hp. But, you have to load the power turbine, or just
lock it in place, or it will overspeed and burst. Some of these
engines the power turbine can be removed easily (and some of
them don't have a power turbine as part of the basic engine
section, it is just the gas generator.) Most of these engines
don't have a throttle, all the controls are automatic, so mostly
you have an on-off switch (assuming you DO get the engine
control). Without the control unit, you would have to do a lot
of work to even start the engine.

Jon