Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need 4-48 screw

I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do. Tough to measure just what it is, but it's not
4-40 or any M3 I tried. Any help appreciated
Nick Hull
2702 Kimbrell RD
Lenoir City TN 37772

865-856-6185

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:

I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do. Tough to measure just what it is, but it's not
4-40 or any M3 I tried. Any help appreciated
Nick Hull
2702 Kimbrell RD
Lenoir City TN 37772

865-856-6185

One may be able to get a 4-48 setscrew at local hardware stores.

I also have a box of 4-48 setscrews, and can send you a few. This will
take longer. Want them?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:01:48 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have.

If this is a dial indicator - this type..
http://www.measurenow.com/images/Mah...c--320x240.jpg
then the standard female thread on the end the stem is 4-48.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 8:01 am, Nick Hull wrote:
I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do. Tough to measure just what it is, but it's not
4-40 or any M3 I tried. Any help appreciated
Nick Hull
2702 Kimbrell RD
Lenoir City TN 37772

865-856-6185

4-48 is a standard thread. May not find it in every hardware store,
but any fastener supplier or mail order source should stock it.
What's the problem?

If you can't find a screw locally, you can probably find a tap in that
size.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Martin fired this volley in
oups.com:
If you can't find a screw locally, you can probably find a tap in that
size.

Are you suggesting he use a tap in place of a screw? G
(wouldn't a die better serve his purpose?) GGG

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Hull wrote:

I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do.

You can get a box of them from McMaster-Carr for 10 bucks + shipping.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do. Tough to measure just what it is, but it's not
4-40 or any M3 I tried. Any help appreciated
Nick Hull
2702 Kimbrell RD
Lenoir City TN 37772

865-856-6185

=========
I bought a box of 100 set screws in this size.

Look for an envelope with some. I got these to make up extension
rods for my drop test indicator without having to cut the 4-48
male thread.

Drill a hole in the end of the rod just under major diameter, tap
(10-20% depth of thread is adequate) and install setscrew to
proper depth with drop of loctite or superglue. Be sure to clean
the external threads with lacquer thinner before the glue sets.

Tip for drilling ultra small [for me] holes in your lathe. Get a
set of pin vises for an example click on
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
I got the General equivilant which works fine for me.

Also get drill blanks that just fit in the hollow in the handle.
Chuck up the drill blank in the tailstock and use this as a guide
for the pin vise. Gives very good control / feel and you can
also use this for a tap guide.

They also make sensitive drill chucks, but these are expensive
and you can use the pin vises for other things.
example click on
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=290-1293
and see top of page.

Good luck and let the group know how the project turns out.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 9:21 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
John Martin fired this volley groups.com:

If you can't find a screw locally, you can probably find a tap in that
size.

Are you suggesting he use a tap in place of a screw? G
(wouldn't a die better serve his purpose?) GGG

LLoyd

Yes, a tap instead of a screw. Seems as though all he wants to do is
run it into the hole to confirm the thread size. Not great for the
tap if the piece is hardened, but a few tries wouldn't hurt it.

It's my guess that more of us have that tap lying around - as part of
a set - than a box of 4-48 screws.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 6:01 am, Nick Hull wrote:
I'd like to get a hold of one 4-48 screw to test to see if it
fits into the business (test contact) end of a Federal test
indicator I have. If it fits I will need one or 2 screws at
least 1/2" long, any head or no head, but just to test any 4-48
thread should do. Tough to measure just what it is, but it's not
4-40 or any M3 I tried. Any help appreciated
Nick Hull
2702 Kimbrell RD
Lenoir City TN 37772

865-856-6185

Standard indicator points are 4-48 thread, check the catalogs. 48 tpi
is a little fine for it, but I've used a sliver of fine-grained wood
in the past to check internal thread pitch. Whittle it down, screw it
into the hole, back it out and check the pitch with a thread pitch
gauge.

Stan

Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 04:53 AM
Need A Screw [email protected] UK diy 17 December 21st 04 02:12 PM
There is always some way to screw up toller Woodworking 11 December 2nd 04 12:16 AM
"Screw it!" BUB 209 Woodworking 5 November 3rd 04 04:01 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 07:36 PM