Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Use of a bridgeport shaper attachment

Sorry for the question, someone off line asked me and I decided to
relay the question here. How are Bridgeport shaper attachments useful,
how are they used? There are the ones that mount on the other side of
the "arm".

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31678" wrote in
message ...
Sorry for the question, someone off line asked me and I decided to
relay the question here. How are Bridgeport shaper attachments

useful,
how are they used? There are the ones that mount on the other side

of
the "arm".

thanks

Making internal splines. Profiling shapes both externally and
internally. Cutting internal gears. The tool reciprocates up and down,
with the ability to pivot away from the work on the upstoke to avoid
rubbing. Just like a normal horizontal shaper with the added advantage
of being able to move the work accurately under the tool. For internal
spines and gear teeth obviously you would use some form of indexing or
rotary table to mount the work.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got one. My biggest use is for cutting keyways. I got it to add shaper
ability to my shop without adding floor space trouble of another machine.

Warning: the tooling is damn near impossible to find. Not made new, and many
are camping on every eBay offer. I've made my own, starting with 5/8
diameter HSS rounds. I also made a holder for HSS cutoff blades.

I have a .pdf of the manual if he needs it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:06:17 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got one. My biggest use is for cutting keyways. I got it to add shaper
ability to my shop without adding floor space trouble of another machine.

Warning: the tooling is damn near impossible to find. Not made new, and many
are camping on every eBay offer. I've made my own, starting with 5/8
diameter HSS rounds. I also made a holder for HSS cutoff blades.

I have a .pdf of the manual if he needs it.

Karl

Karl, thanks, I let him know. I am sure that he is interested in the
pdf manual, my email is . Thank you very much.