Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe chuck keys.

Wes wrote:
Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Nope. I even have an old Union chuck that has a male pinion on the chuck,
so the key has to have a female recess in it. Of course, it came
without a key (on eBay). So, I had to mill it into the end of a piece
of bar.

..382" sounds like a little bit of clearance short of 10 mm.
..460 is an odd size, maybe for a .475" recess.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? Â*I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Sure! 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17mm
The rest is non-standard.

Ni-SCNR-ck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys?

LOL

thats what milling machines are for.

I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Wes

I keep any chuck handle I see that is on the scrap pile so if I need a
particular size I can just mill the end to fit.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like 3/8 and 7/16 with a little slop to me.

Pete Stanaitis

Wes wrote:
Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Wes

How are chuck keys sized Norm Dresner Metalworking 7 March 23rd 06 05:12 PM
lathe chuck geo Woodturning 22 February 1st 06 09:14 PM
ISO machine keys form commie lathe Rex B Metalworking 7 September 8th 05 05:20 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
using a four jaw chuck on a lathe stone Metalworking 25 April 21st 05 03:35 PM