DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lathe chuck keys. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/210072-lathe-chuck-keys.html)

Jon Elson[_2_] August 7th 07 07:28 PM

Lathe chuck keys.

Wes wrote:
Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Nope. I even have an old Union chuck that has a male pinion on the chuck,
so the key has to have a female recess in it. Of course, it came
without a key (on eBay). So, I had to mill it into the end of a piece
of bar.

..382" sounds like a little bit of clearance short of 10 mm.
..460 is an odd size, maybe for a .475" recess.

Jon

Wes[_2_] August 7th 07 08:26 PM

Lathe chuck keys.

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Wes

Nick Mueller August 7th 07 09:16 PM

Lathe chuck keys.

Wes wrote:

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys? Â*I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Sure! 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17mm
The rest is non-standard.

Ni-SCNR-ck

John August 7th 07 10:04 PM

Lathe chuck keys.

Wes wrote:

Is there any standards for lathe chuck keys?

LOL

thats what milling machines are for. :)

I measured my two chucks and
one is .382" sq and the other .460" sq.

Wes

I keep any chuck handle I see that is on the scrap pile so if I need a
particular size I can just mill the end to fit.

John

spaco August 8th 07 03:35 AM

Lathe chuck keys.

Sounds like 3/8 and 7/16 with a little slop to me.

Pete Stanaitis