Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this hammer for? (metalworking, maybe)

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/hammer.jpg

The head weighs about 16 oz.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/hammer.jpg

The head weighs about 16 oz.

Thanks,
Bob

Masonry work.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anthony wrote:
Masonry work.

You mean for scoring brick to break it? If so, I don't think so - the
ends don't have edges at all. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 5, 10:51 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/hammer.jpg

The head weighs about 16 oz.

Thanks,
Bob

Looks to me like a badly damaged, well-used(used-up, in fact) chipping
hammer for welding cleanup. Most these days have metal handles welded
to them, but there are a few that still use hickory. That's one head
configuration, there are others.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Zimmerman wrote:
Definitely a chipping hammer gone to heaven. I prefer the straight
chisel in the upper pic myself.
Randy

wrote in message
ps.com...

Looks to me like a badly damaged, well-used(used-up, in fact) chipping
hammer for welding cleanup. Most these days have metal handles welded
to them, but there are a few that still use hickory. That's one head
configuration, there are others.

Stan

Thanks, guys. I'd never seen a chipping hammer other than the
steel-handle-with-brush. And the condition of this one would never
suggest its use to chip!!

It got me thinking about how handy a better chipping hammer might be.
maybe reshape this one, or fashion one from another hammer. I'm
thinking that something that was more of a pick would work well.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Light stone or brick chipper. Maybe slate tile chipper (on the roof).
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Randy Zimmerman wrote:
Definitely a chipping hammer gone to heaven. I prefer the straight
chisel in the upper pic myself.
Randy

wrote in message
ps.com...

Looks to me like a badly damaged, well-used(used-up, in fact) chipping
hammer for welding cleanup. Most these days have metal handles welded
to them, but there are a few that still use hickory. That's one head
configuration, there are others.

Stan

Thanks, guys. I'd never seen a chipping hammer other than the
steel-handle-with-brush. And the condition of this one would never
suggest its use to chip!!

It got me thinking about how handy a better chipping hammer might be.
maybe reshape this one, or fashion one from another hammer. I'm
thinking that something that was more of a pick would work well.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:07:32 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Anthony wrote:
Masonry work.

You mean for scoring brick to break it? If so, I don't think so - the
ends don't have edges at all. Bob

Looks like an old and very well used "slag hammer" or "chipping
hammer" used for arc welding.