Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dogtrap (story time ;) )

Thursday, 02 August, 2007 10:25 PM
Subject: Dogtrap

Noontime I'm having a ham sandwich at the corner
store when Joyce hands me the phone. It was
Kristy Kratt from Wyandotte excitedly telling me
something about her dog is trapped by some concrete
block and do I have a saw that will cut it. Jim the
paper guy was just pulling in so I said I'll come down
and see what the heck is going on as soon as I check
out walk home and get the truck.
Well, the dog was stuck all right, the dumbass was chasing
a chipmunk that ran through a concrete cinder block to
escape the dog and of course the husky stuck his head
completely through the block! Those chipmunks are
pretty smart and know how to escape. The dog could
not back up out of the block no matter what they did!
Not a very comfortable position but not immediately
life threating either, not to mention extremely embarassing
having been suckered in by that damn chippie...:)
The block happened to be a doorway block with a groove
cut in it for door wood and that was the hole of interest.
I went home and came back with a shipfitters wedge and
a two pound hammer, stuck the wedge down the groove
and struck it in, then with my foot anchoring the block on
the far side gave that wedge a few nice hits and the block
cracked. I put down the tools and lifted the top clear and
that mutt took off like a bullet after a swampbuck she
sure was happy! I'm sure I saw a couple of chippies
high fiving each other........oh, and one much smarter dog
slinging soapy water off its neck. ;))
Phil Kangas 02aug07