Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

Default Finally got some real good use from the Bridgeport!

Hey guys,

Well, I finally made the big plunge and fabricated my own mounts to put
one of my first custom twin turbo S500 engines I built into my Mercedes C230
4door. Now bear in mind all the "experts" said it could not be done. Well.
Thanks to a great trade I made with Iggy I spent over a month making mounts
for the engine cradle, trans, subframes, and it was indeed a trying job but
a lot of fun. (The top fuel stuff is a breeze compared to what I just went
through with this monster!)
Anyhow. I now have a daily driver that used to be a 4 cylinder grocery
getter ( The copper Benz Iggy and Mike that has been in your driveways) It
now houses a custom built twin turbo V8 with two stages of Nitrous oxide and
45mm Garrett turbos and a intercooler the size of a big-screen tv. next is a
9" ford and a tub job.
It just ran a 9.14 at 184mph in the 1/4 mile (on slicks!) Car does
wheel-stands through the 60' mark so I can't get it dialed in just yet. More
suspension work to be done by "Behind Bars Fabrication" here in IL. A 4 door
Benz that just whipped the crap out of a C6 Corvette at Rt 66 Raceway (not
to mention some respectable full-tilt prostocks). I had guys drooling and
complimenting the car as it looks and sounds like a complete sleeper -
except for the scraped rear bumper panel now! Needless to say the tech
officials were not at all too happy with my breakout on the pass ( I listed
12.0 or slower. ha ha ha!!)
Without all the advice and help from you guys I'd never have finished or
even undertaken this project. I'm an drag engine builder and this was really
my first attempt to try something so crazy with a German import. I normally
just race top-alcohol funny cars and TAD dragsters. Looks like I'm going to
try to put a 12 point cage in the car and get into the mid to low 8's The
engine made 991hp on my dyno. I did not chassis dyno it, just the engine
dyno at my shop. I never thought the mounts and crossmembers would be right
but your help and advice got me through the traps like a raped banshee. I'll
be putting more pics on my site as soon as the girlfriend gets around to it.
I have to admit, this was more fun than I ever thought and I'm so proud that
I did it myself and it turned out ok. I was told by some of the guys at the
track that not only did they never see a car like mine but they estimated
that just the work I did on the plates, mounts, and chassis would easily be
in excess of 10k When I told them I had $300.00 in metals and just free time
and a lot of measure five or six times and cut once they were floored. That
Bridgeport really spun out some wild parts that impress the hell out of me
and it's too bad it's all hidden my the massive powerplant and turbo piping
but your assistance and pointers got this project DONE! All the welding was
on my SD180 as the Aerowave took a dive again It did just fine btw. I
made a awesome tubing notcher from a Rigid pipe vice and a piece of plate
steel for the Bridgeport and it is so accurate I think I'm going to make
more and sell them! Next is the BMW MIII with a blown&injected SBC and
Lenco trans with a full cage.

Thanks a million and if you want to take a ride down the strip on
a test-and-tune at Rt66 Dragway hit me up- Iggy I definitely owe you a ride
or two!

All the best and again, my sincere thanks!

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Rob,

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 05:14:35 -0500, "RDF"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF, this is more than exciting. I would definitely love to see this
sort of thing. I am keeping an eye on variable frequency drives, if I
find one very cheaply, I will let you know so that you can use that
instead ot the kludgy phase converter that I made in a hurry. (though
it has an advantage that it is there and it works)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey guys,

Well, I finally made the big plunge and fabricated my own mounts to put
one of my first custom twin turbo S500 engines I built into my Mercedes C230
4door.

snip
===========
Any chance you can post a photo or three, possibly to the
dropbox?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have to admit, this was more fun than I ever thought and I'm so proud that
I did it myself and it turned out ok.

WOW! Well done! Ig, you gotta take him up on a ride in that car.
Just a couple of blocks, say 1/4 mile or so...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have to admit, this was more fun than I ever thought and I'm so proud that
I did it myself and it turned out ok.

WOW! Well done! Ig, you gotta take him up on a ride in that car.
Just a couple of blocks, say 1/4 mile or so...

Maybe we can hook up my trailer to his Mercedes... Just kidding... By
the way, my trailer was used to deliver that mill to RDF.