Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Worlds biggest wrench

I'm running a CNC plasma cutting table at the job and got a program
to make a 1 1/8 wrench for taking the regulators on and off the gas
bottles. This was of course an excuse so I could have the program. So
it occurs to me I could make me some giant wrenches, so how big would
it have to be to be the biggest? I've heard of some enormous wrenches
at the steel mills. Right now I'm planning on 25 feet long which would
handle a 24 in or so nut. The nut would come later.
And no I don't have too much free time at work.
Rosco

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Butter wrote:

I'm running a CNC plasma cutting table at the job and got a program
to make a 1 1/8 wrench for taking the regulators on and off the gas
bottles. This was of course an excuse so I could have the program. So
it occurs to me I could make me some giant wrenches, so how big would
it have to be to be the biggest? I've heard of some enormous wrenches
at the steel mills. Right now I'm planning on 25 feet long which would
handle a 24 in or so nut. The nut would come later.
And no I don't have too much free time at work.
Rosco

Big nuts don't have flats.
Btw the biggest nuts I've seen were 52" in diameter with a 25" thread.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

id love a picture of that

Big nuts don't have flats.
Btw the biggest nuts I've seen were 52" in diameter with a 25" thread.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Big nuts don't have flats.
Btw the biggest nuts I've seen were 52" in diameter with a 25" thread.

Tom

If they don't have flats what do they have? Since this is just for fun
I want the nut and wrench to look BIG. Where did you see these big
nuts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 11:27?am, Butter wrote:
I'm running a CNC plasma cutting table at the job and got a program
to make a 1 1/8 wrench for taking the regulators on and off the gas
bottles.
Rosco

Rosco

First thing that comes to my mind is what gas is in the gas bottles?
Unless you really know the wrenches should be "non-sparking"

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 29, 11:27?am, Butter wrote:
I'm running a CNC plasma cutting table at the job and got a program
to make a 1 1/8 wrench for taking the regulators on and off the gas
bottles.
Rosco

Rosco

First thing that comes to my mind is what gas is in the gas bottles?
Unless you really know the wrenches should be "non-sparking"

Bob AZ

If you're twisting on a brass fitting hard enough to get sparks, maybe
woodworking is more to your liking.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 3:26 pm, tom wrote:
the big ones I've seen are spun on by hand and have many bolts around
them that are screwed down to stretch the stud they are screwed on to.

Yeah, they're called Superbolts (there might be competitors out there
but these are the ones I'm familiar with) at http://www.superbolt.com
They were mentioned in Designfax a couple of weeks ago

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tom wrote:

the big ones I've seen are spun on by hand and have many bolts around
them that are screwed down to stretch the stud they are screwed on to.
no giant wrench required.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:08:45 -0700, Butter wrote:

Big nuts don't have flats.
Btw the biggest nuts I've seen were 52" in diameter with a 25" thread.

Tom

If they don't have flats what do they have? Since this is just for fun
I want the nut and wrench to look BIG. Where did you see these big
nuts?

The head nut on a cone crusher is pretty big. the od of the nut is about
34 inches in diameter. They get spun on and then the tabs cast on the
sides get beat on with a big sledge hammer to tighten them. They are
then welded in place to lock them. They get torched off when the
crusher is taken apart.

John