Posted to alt.home.repair

Default worlds slowest ceiling fan.

Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow.
I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.

the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms. tech support told me that it
could be the reciver for remote. i dont think it is.
i think i may have to take the whole fan down again and check to see if all
the wires are making a good connection. i had a hard time with the 2 wires
that come out of the ceiling and am wondering if they are connected but just
a little loose would that cause the fan to turn sooooo slooooooow.

thank you.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frankly wrote:
Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo
sloooooow. I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have
ever seen.
the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms. tech support told me that
it could be the reciver for remote. i dont think it is.
i think i may have to take the whole fan down again and check to see
if all the wires are making a good connection. i had a hard time
with the 2 wires that come out of the ceiling and am wondering if
they are connected but just a little loose would that cause the fan
to turn sooooo slooooooow.

Google: Ceiling + fan + slow = 2,740,000 hits. I've reviewed them all and
concluded:

Bad capacitor.
http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-and-FAQ.php#4

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you get a good answer on this, I have 2 identical fans on a
common wall switch, and when independently or simultaneously the one is
much much slower than its twin. Like you I could have made a boo boo
wiring it, but out of dozens I've installed, this is the only one with
the slows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:22:49 GMT, "Frankly"
wrote:

the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms.

50 revolutions per millisecond? bg

-zero
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow.
I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.

the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms. tech support told me that it
could be the reciver for remote. i dont think it is.
i think i may have to take the whole fan down again and check to see if all
the wires are making a good connection. i had a hard time with the 2 wires
that come out of the ceiling and am wondering if they are connected but just
a little loose would that cause the fan to turn sooooo slooooooow.

thank you.

Frank

My hunter fan has a dual capacitor in it and when it is removed, the
fan runs slowly (and overheats).

You have a defective capacitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Frankly wrote:
[...]

i did that search and came up with the bad capacitor. i hope it is located
in the reciever for the remote because that is what they are sending me.
tech support for hunter suck and the wire diagrams on both the web site and
in the box do not match the wires I have.
so i guess i can leave the wires the way they are and hope this capacitor is
located within the remotes reciever.

thanks to all for their help.

Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frankly wrote:

Google: Ceiling + fan + slow = 2,740,000 hits. I've reviewed them
all and concluded:

Bad capacitor.
http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-and-FAQ.php#4

i did that search and came up with the bad capacitor. i hope it is
located in the reciever for the remote because that is what they are
sending
me. tech support for hunter suck and the wire diagrams on both the web
site and in the box do not match the wires I have.
so i guess i can leave the wires the way they are and hope this
capacitor is located within the remotes reciever.

Unless the fan's motor is inside the remote control, I don't think you'll
find the capacitor there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow.
I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.

the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms. tech support told me that it
could be the reciver for remote. i dont think it is.
i think i may have to take the whole fan down again and check to see if all
the wires are making a good connection. i had a hard time with the 2 wires
that come out of the ceiling and am wondering if they are connected but just
a little loose would that cause the fan to turn sooooo slooooooow.

The others have solved your problem, but for the record, you shouldn't
make a connection whose tightness you'll have any doubt about later
but I've never seen a case where a loose connection did something but
diddn't work completely. I'm not talking about a case where a light
goes on and off, but even that might prove my point. It may be so
loose that it goes off some times, but when it is on, it's usually at
full brightness. If it's not fully bright, it's because it's about to
off again.

thank you.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Frankly wrote:

Google: Ceiling + fan + slow = 2,740,000 hits. I've reviewed them
all and concluded:

Bad capacitor.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...shooting-and-F
AQ.php#4

i did that search and came up with the bad capacitor. i hope it is
located in the reciever for the remote because that is what they are
sending
me. tech support for hunter suck and the wire diagrams on both the
web site and in the box do not match the wires I have.
so i guess i can leave the wires the way they are and hope this
capacitor is located within the remotes reciever.

Unless the fan's motor is inside the remote control, I don't think
you'll find the capacitor there.

Life is just filled with one disappointment after another

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Frankly wrote:

Google: Ceiling + fan + slow = 2,740,000 hits. I've reviewed them
all and concluded:

Bad capacitor.
http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-and-FAQ.php#4

i did that search and came up with the bad capacitor. i hope it is
located in the reciever for the remote because that is what they are
sending
me. tech support for hunter suck and the wire diagrams on both the web
site and in the box do not match the wires I have.
so i guess i can leave the wires the way they are and hope this
capacitor is located within the remotes reciever.

Unless the fan's motor is inside the remote control, I don't think you'll
find the capacitor there.

they are actually sending me the receiver that sits in the fan.
its not that I had an idea of what was wrong when I was talking to her (
hunters tech support)
I just didn't get the feeling she was going to get it right. and couldnt
see how it could be the receiver that was doing this.
I did get 2 of these fans and going to install the other one in the bedroom
tomorrow.
I should have just came here. i will call their tech support again and
mention the capacitor to them.
i am sure if i hand them the answer they will send me the right part.
thank you again.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the
slowest setting should turn about 50rpms.

50 revolutions per millisecond? bg

-zero

It looked like normal sloppiness. Someone hadn't considered that
"revolutions per minutes" doesn't make sense.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Jul 2006 13:36:13 -0700, "sky" wrote:

Do you have any qualms about taping a wire nutted connection?

I don't tape mine, but that's not because of qualms. Would I have
qualms about relying on tape to work after the wire nuts came loose?
I think so.

I don't think the wirenuts whould some loose.

There have been threads here involving other people than me about
wirenuts and taping.

BTW, I'm not a pro and only do a few connections a year, some years
none.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

the one connectiont that gave me a little problem was the 1 white thick wire
comming out of the ceiling. according to the instructions i was supposed to
connect 4 wires to it.
the instructions are also missing info. i think what i will do is put the
other fan in the bedroom and see if it works. then i will put that motor on
the fan in the living room.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you have any qualms about taping a wire nutted connection?

nope and on a few that is what I did. however even tho i tried it is still
possible that I made a mistake someplace. i didnt believe it would be the
reciever for the remote unless someone it is telling the fan that the
highest setting is about 50rpm and the slowest is about 20rpm.
Frank

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

"Frankly" wrote in message

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:49:12 GMT, "Frankly"
wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

About this time, I 'm thinking you should have given us the brand and
model of fan. I don't think you did.

"Frankly" wrote in message
> [...]

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

"Frankly" wrote in message
> [...]

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

About this time, I 'm thinking you should have given us the brand and
model of fan. I don't think you did.

i really thought the second fan was going to work .
65" Brushed Nickel
Model number 21871
Owners Manual = when you get to figure 6A - this is where the problem may
resove itself.
the diagram looks fine except that it is missing a red and white white
comming out of the reciever.
i connected those wires to the red and white of the fan and then connected
those 4 wires to the white power wire.
also missing in the diagram is the white "neutral in" that i have connected
to 1 green ground wire in the ceiling plate and another from inside the fan.
http://www.hunterfanhq.com/hiw-prod/...s/ps_frame.htm

Parts Guide
http://www.hunterfanhq.com/tools/sal...000-01-070.pdf

thank you
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low.
what will be needed to do?
the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

i am guessing that i would test the wires coming out of the ceiling.
and check the system requirements for the fan.
if the volts are to low what can i do to increase it?
i would rather fix this problem then send the fans back.
however the couple upstairs did install a ceiling fan. I will ask them if
they had
to modify anything.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Frankly wrote:

they are actually sending me the receiver that sits in the fan.
its not that I had an idea of what was wrong when I was talking to her (
hunters tech support)
I just didn't get the feeling she was going to get it right. and couldnt
see how it could be the receiver that was doing this.

I'm with you on this one.

Like complaining the volume on the tv doesn't get high enough, so they
send you a new tv remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

I hope you get a good answer on this, I have 2 identical fans on a
common wall switch, and when independently or simultaneously the one is
much much slower than its twin. Like you I could have made a boo boo
wiring it, but out of dozens I've installed, this is the only one with
the slows.

would it make a difference if you wired it parallel vs single. or how ever
its called or if there is even a choice. i am thinking if the juice has to
go through one fan to get to the other.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:07:59 GMT, "Frankly"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low.
what will be needed to do?
the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.

Frank

You should have 120 volts available from the house wiring. That's
all. The same as what you have in the receptacles that have working
appliances plugged in.

Better yet just lay the two wires across a normal 100 watt light bulb
and see if glows bright. That's even better than a volt meter.

Usually Black is hot and White is neutral. The other wire is ground
and can be about any color or bare copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low.
what will be needed to do?
the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.

Frank

I suggest that you check the voltage unloaded and while the fan is
connected to provide a load. If you see a big drop, you will know there
is a bad connection somewhere and it is time for somebody with some
experience, either you or a pro, to track it down asap, because aside
from this problem, it is producing heat and could start a fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimL" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:07:59 GMT, "Frankly"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low.
what will be needed to do?
the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.

Frank

You should have 120 volts available from the house wiring. That's
all. The same as what you have in the receptacles that have working
appliances plugged in.

Better yet just lay the two wires across a normal 100 watt light bulb
and see if glows bright. That's even better than a volt meter.

Usually Black is hot and White is neutral. The other wire is ground
and can be about any color or bare copper.

after doing some reading on volt meters and ceiling fans i think it is
probably a good idea
to use one to test and make certain theatthe current is off. I might as
well use it to test for the 120 volts.

i have 2 wires coming out of my ceilings. one black and one white.
you said white is neutral and the white wire coming out of the remotes
receiver is white
and has a tag on it reading "neutral in" i was told to connect that wire to
the green wire on the ceiling plate.
i guess the best way to see if there is an error in the wires would be to
first see if my fan is getting the 120 volts.
however you guys/gals know much more than i do and i am not getting much
help from the tech support from hunter.
and thank you for the tip about the 100 watt light bulb.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

I just installed the second fan.
Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest
speed.
high speed is about 60rpm.

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low.
what will be needed to do?
the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.

Frank

I suggest that you check the voltage unloaded and while the fan is
connected to provide a load. If you see a big drop, you will know there
is a bad connection somewhere and it is time for somebody with some
experience, either you or a pro, to track it down asap, because aside
from this problem, it is producing heat and could start a fire.

Just came back with a 100 watt light bulb and connected it to the light kit
of the fan.
the room is very well lit and dont have much in the way to make it dark. I
couldnt tell if the light is as bright as it should be. in reading your
post i do feel very strongly that i should get that multi meter.
i can also use it to do some electrical tests on my motorcycle.
if under load from the fan there is a big drop in voltage I am guessing that
the bad connection is someplace were i made the connections? I am about to
go get the multi meter but have a question. while the fan is connected i
should test for a voltage drop where the 2 wires from the ceiling are
connected to the fan? the fan has a female connector for the light kit can
i do the test from that as well?

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

i was just talking to tech support AGAIN and was told that the wire diagram
is more off then the last tech told me.
I was told that i must put some kind of ground wire to ground the fan and
also change around a few of the wires. can anyone tell me how to ground it?

Thank you

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ground (green) wire or wires from the fan assembly should be attached to
the ground (usually bare, sometimes green) lead from the house wiring. Some
older houses may not have a separate ground lead ( this is what I have ) and
use the metal conduit and electrical boxes as ground. In this case you would
attach the ground wire from the fan to the electrical box (and/or mounting
plate) with the appropriate screw or clip.

i also read something that if i have the fan flush mounted that the fan is
already grounded to the ceiling box. the same page also said that if i use
the extention to lower the fan that it is insolated and then it requires a
ground.

i think i am going to try it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i called hunter tech support again and was told something different once
again.
after chaning the wires that do not match what the wire diagram says the fan
works fine.
however i didnt have a ground wire coming out of the ceiling and according
to what I read the ceiling plate is grounded to the ceiling box. I would
like to test this ground and am doing a google on it.
well anyway thank you to those that helped me out.

Frank

"Frankly" wrote in message

The ground (green) wire or wires from the fan assembly should be attached
to the ground (usually bare, sometimes green) lead from the house wiring.
Some older houses may not have a separate ground lead ( this is what I
have ) and use the metal conduit and electrical boxes as ground. In this
case you would attach the ground wire from the fan to the electrical box
(and/or mounting plate) with the appropriate screw or clip.

i also read something that if i have the fan flush mounted that the fan is
already grounded to the ceiling box. the same page also said that if i use
the extention to lower the fan that it is insolated and then it requires a
ground.

i think i am going to try it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow.
I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were trying to FIND the
world's slowest ceiling fan... My wife loves the fans, and I hate
them. I work in an over air-conditioned environment and have cold air
blowing on me all day. I'd like some relief from that at home, but
the missus insists on having fans running all the time. I was hoping
to find out that there is a really slow fan out there that I could
tolerate. Maybe I should just yank the capacitors on the ones we
have.

or you can take lessons from me on wiring a ceiling fan .
to be honest with you i am still wondering about the ground wire. I am not
sure
if it is right.
i think ceiling fans work great with an air conditioner even if it is set on
the slowest speed.
i love it and once i find out about the ground wire i will be putting the
other one up in the bedroom.
i can understand your wanting to get away from it from time to time. right
now i have the AC and fan on the lowest settings.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I have 4 ceiling fans in my home and none are grounded,
The guy that installed the electric box in the ceiling only used 2
conductor wire (black and white). I tied into that - white to white
and black to black.

When I wired up the fans, I just wired the green ground wire on the
fans to the small screw on the electric box in the ceiling. Maybe
someday I will run a ground wire from the boxes to the circuit breaker
box, but the fans work fine without one.

You don't need the ground wire connected to anything to make your
fans work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim.

the fan does work fine. i was just worried about safety issues i may have
been unaware of.
fan works great - no wobble even .
looks like tomorrow the bedroom fan is going up .

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Definitely not trying to be condescending, or anything, but it sounds like
you need some professional help in the shape of an electrician. Even they
get zapped every now and then, and they went to electrician school....

"Frankly" wrote in message
> [...]

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

LOL! that's exactly what I thought.... I spent a quite a while working the
size of my "casablanca" (the movie) fan control down so it would fit in a
standard switch box. I can go anywhere from 10 rpm to the standard speeds!!!

Email me if you'd like a copy of the CCT, and you're electrically competent!

wrote:

Hello Group.

I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow.
I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were trying to FIND the
world's slowest ceiling fan... My wife loves the fans, and I hate
them. I work in an over air-conditioned environment and have cold air
blowing on me all day. I'd like some relief from that at home, but
the missus insists on having fans running all the time. I was hoping
to find out that there is a really slow fan out there that I could
tolerate. Maybe I should just yank the capacitors on the ones we
have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does this unit have a separate radio remote? In my fans the radio remote is
intended to be used with the 3 speed "pull chain switch" on its highest setting.
It works by reducing whatever the "hard speed" is of the pull switch. If I set
my pull switch speed to low then the speeds produced by the remote control are
Slow, Slower, Slowest. My guess is that this is what you are seeing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:28:01 +1000, "glenn P"
wrote:

Definitely not trying to be condescending, or anything, but it sounds like
you need some professional help in the shape of an electrician. Even they
get zapped every now and then, and they went to electrician school....

Horrible answer.
Do you know what an electrician charges these days?

"Frankly" wrote in message
> [...]

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Definitely not trying to be condescending, or anything, but it sounds like
you need some professional help in the shape of an electrician. Even they
get zapped every now and then, and they went to electrician school....

Horrible answer.
Do you know what an electrician charges these days?

The original poster stated in one of his posts that

"...i have 2 wires coming out of my ceilings. one black and one white.

you said white is neutral and the white wire coming out of the remotes
receiver is white and has a tag on it reading "neutral in" i was told
to connect that wire to the green wire on the ceiling plate. ..."

Right there is (at least one place) where he went wrong. The green wire
is the "grounding" wire, used only for a safety ground. Its not safe,
no legal, to use it for a neutral conductor, but connected this way,
the fan should work. The symptom of very slow operation is indicative
of a large voltage drop in in the circuit. Based on the available
information, that ground (green) wire does not have a good path back to
where it is supposed to be connected.

First thing to do is shut off the power and get the green wire off the
white wire. Green wire goes to the case of the fan assembly, there is
probably a green or bare wire from the fan assembly to connect to.

I looked at the link provided to the Hunter website and clearly in the
owner's manual, it states:

[excerpting]
Connect electrical supply leads from the motor, using
approved connectors.

[receiver control wiring]
Connect the yellow from the fan to the yellow from the receiver, pink
from the fan to the pink from the receiver, grey from the fan to the
grey from the receiver and the
black with white tracer from the fan to the black with white tracer
from the receiver.

[power wiring]
Connect the red and white wires from the fan with the white from the
receiver to the white power (common) wire.

Connect the larger black wire from the receiver to the black power
wire.

Run the thin white antenna wire from the receiver through one of the
slots in the ceiling plate and outside the canopy (when installed). See
Figure 6A.

Connect the ground wire to the green lead wires from the ceiling plate
and the hanger ball.

After wiring is completed, check all connections to ensure that they
are tight and there are no bare wires visible at the wire connectors."

[end excerpt]

I added spacing and some bracketed headers for clarity.

Basically, it says connect the like colored wires from the fan and
receiver to each other. Then hook up the power wires by connecting the
red & white wire from the fan together with a (assuming larger) white
wire from the receiver (three wires) to the white neutral power wire
from the ceiling (total four wires.)

Becuareful about that antenna wire. Its white, so don't get it mixed up
with a power wire. I would hope its a thin wire obviously differnt from
the rest, so as not to have it mistaken.

The diagram doesn't show the green ground wire, but the instructions
above describe it pretty well.

By the way, an electrician is a lot cheaper than hospital bills, or
what a fire would cost...

Good Luck.

Randy