Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5204 bearing vs. McMaster 3204

I need a bearing for the turbine on my irrigation traveler. Yesterday is
when I needed it. Can't wait for the manufacturer's part.

The bearing says 5204 2RS on the side. This is it:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...FSCTWAodvwJgMg

McMaster Carr has a 3204 bearing with the same size. Part number 5885K72
http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you have to enter the part number)

A search for 3204 bearing comes up empty on bearing stores.

So, is this the right part?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
link.net:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...NCHvI0CFSCTWAo
dvwJgMg

Is there much axial load on the shaft that bearing supports? The 5204
being an angular contact bearing is designed to handle moderate axial
The 3204 is better at handling high radial loads.
Anyway, not equivalent to each other but might work for a few days if there
is no other option.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
link.net...
|I need a bearing for the turbine on my irrigation traveler. Yesterday is
| when I needed it. Can't wait for the manufacturer's part.
|
| The bearing says 5204 2RS on the side. This is it:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...FSCTWAodvwJgMg

| McMaster Carr has a 3204 bearing with the same size. Part number 5885K72
| http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you have to enter the part number)
|
| A search for 3204 bearing comes up empty on bearing stores.
|
| So, is this the right part?

It depends on your special requirements. Physical dimensions and max RPM
properties are identical for both.
What other parameters do you need that might not be provided by the bearing
from McMaster?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:16:56 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

The bearing says 5204 2RS on the side. This is it:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...FSCTWAodvwJgMg

McMaster Carr has a 3204 bearing with the same size. Part number 5885K72
http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you have to enter the part number)

A search for 3204 bearing comes up empty on bearing stores.

So, is this the right part?

It appears to be. The contact angle may not be exactly the same, but
any port in a storm.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend writes:

The bearing says 5204 2RS on the side. This is it:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...NCHvI0CFSCTWAo
dvwJgMg

McMaster Carr has a 3204 bearing with the same size. Part number
5885K72 http://www.mcmaster.com/ (you have to enter the part number)

A search for 3204 bearing comes up empty on bearing stores.

So, is this the right part?

According to my notes, a 5xxx differs from a 3xxx only in that the 3 has
extra balls via a filling slot and 5 has a normal ball count (fewer). Both
are double-row angular contact.

So the 3204 is a compatible *upgrade* from the 5204.

See my notes he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...1ff55aa6677d38

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to my notes, a 5xxx differs from a 3xxx only in that the 3 has
extra balls via a filling slot and 5 has a normal ball count (fewer).
Both
are double-row angular contact.

So the 3204 is a compatible *upgrade* from the 5204.

See my notes he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...1ff55aa6677d38

Thanks for the details on bearings. I was going to order the McMaster part
anyway. Now I won't have to bother with changing it back out to the
original.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:43:10 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

According to my notes, a 5xxx differs from a 3xxx only in that the 3 has
extra balls via a filling slot and 5 has a normal ball count (fewer).
Both
are double-row angular contact.

So the 3204 is a compatible *upgrade* from the 5204.

See my notes he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...1ff55aa6677d38

Thanks for the details on bearings. I was going to order the McMaster part
anyway. Now I won't have to bother with changing it back out to the
original.

Karl

The only caution I would add is that McM/Carr doesn't give you a full
description to determine if this is an actual interchange. If it does
have a filler slot be careful if you have considerable thrust loads as
the balls can ride up on the raceway and run over the notch causing
damage. This is why most manufacturers have reduced or eliminated
their offerings of max type bearings

McMaster-Car equivalent in UK John Metalworking 3 September 10th 05 09:37 PM
Value of McMaster, MSC et al catalogs rashid111 Metalworking 3 July 10th 05 07:08 AM
#98 McMaster Carr Catalog Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 4 February 23rd 05 12:14 AM
mcmaster carr 111 williamhenry Metalworking 0 February 1st 05 11:31 PM