Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default Load your guns/keyboard. Here is one for you.

On Jul 19, 2:02 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message

b wrote:
I have a Toro weed whacker or whatever you wish to call it. I know what
have called it.

Anyway, this thing labeled Brush Cutter but whacks weeds, has a broken
flexible shaft.
Aside from not knowing how to get this shaft loose from the
pull-start/clutch/engine, I have been thinking of welding it where it
broke,
then, I wouldn't have to remove it. The cable/shaft is spirally wound
and
costs like crazy.
It won't bend at the welded joint
I can just see all of the individual wires that make up this cable,
melting
into a glob when I attempt to weld it. If I am successful I won't have
remove the cable/shaft and besides, it doesn't need a sharp radius in
which
to bend.

Question: Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

be

Crimp some close fitting tube (steel, copper, etc.) over the break, and
braze it together.

Anything to do with heat is highly unlikely to be successful. The cable
most certainly is heat treated-----and will be annealed by the lowest of
temperatures-----well below brazing range. If a crimp works, that's the
best shot you have at fixing the broken cable, but it has likely failed from
fatigue, so other areas won't be far behind.

It's the American way, eh? Sell something that almost works, then sell them
again and again. The suckers (consumers) won't know the difference.

We should be ashamed of ourselves here in the States----able to build good
quality, but we don't. Not anymore.

Harold- Hide quoted text -