Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fine Centering Scope

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:03:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, F.
George McDuffee quickly quoth:

work area. For some reason many home shop machinists fail to get
enough light.

Ditto for woodworkers and other hobbyists. Are we secretly afraid of
seeing our mistakes in the bright lights?

For center/prick punching locations from scribed lines get a
punch with a magnifier. If you are using a coax indicator you
just need a light prick punch mark, and you will damage the
special punch with the Skidmore unit if you give it a mighty
blast with a heavy hammer.
I like the cross hair type
click on
http://www.skidmoreengineering.com/i...s/Page1171.htm
this has a magnetic base which helps when using on steel.

I saw this one at Lee Valley years ago and should have bought one when
they were at a much better exchange rate. They're only $34 now, tho.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 04:35:12 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
snip
I saw this one at Lee Valley years ago and should have bought one when
they were at a much better exchange rate. They're only $34 now, tho.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

snip
Very nice looking and I am sure it works well.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.