Machineman

Default Tool grinder pictures up

Hello all

Just finished cleaning up the Tiplap grinder I got at auction on the
weekend. Nice little unit. the shaft was seized into the toolrest but
some penetrating oil and a deadblow hammer took care of that, and some
scotchbrite clean up the crud inside. I disassembled everything,
cleaned and reassembled it. The only problem was with the grinding
wheel adapter, one of the mounting bolts holes is stripped, I will have
to helicoil it. I was thinking of repainting it but didn't feel like
filling my lungs with overspray today :-)
I contacted the manufacturer about a manual and parts list but at 20
pounds(almost $50cnd)+shipping that is close to what I paid for the
grinder. So if anyone has a copy for sale or can scan one for me it
would be appreciated.
here are the pictures
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg1.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg2.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg3.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg4.jpg
--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Brian Lawson

Hey James,

Looks very good. Should have been a "Gloat" posting! I wouldn't be
surprised if that thing cost well over 4 grand Cdn when new.

Let us see some of what you sharpen with it when you get around to it.
Nice photos too, by the way.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:36:25 -0300, Machineman
wrote:

[...]

Machineman

Brian
I should probably start with the cheap brazed carbide boring bars I
got for my boring heads :-) I may make up a setting fixture to align
the cutters before grinding. Probably look something like this.
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/settingjig.jpg
The adjustable bar is used to set the cutter level.

wrote:

http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg1.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg2.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg3.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg4.jpg

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI
Canada
Machinist - 3D Cad Design - Amateur Astronomer

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I dint have a clue what a Tiplap was. Thats quite nice.

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by
their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in
possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the
mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of
their insanity is that they actually believe this."
-- someone in misc.survivalism
Grant Erwin

Wow, what a graphic! What did you draw that with? - GWE

Machineman wrote:

http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/settingjig.jpg

Richard J Kinch

Machineman writes:

http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/settingjig.jpg

Nasty corrosion on that diamond tread.

Say, what does the chart over the wheel of the grinder tell you?
Brian Lawson

Hey James,

That's a good and simple idea! Should work just fine.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg1.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg2.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg3.jpg
http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/tlg4.jpg

Machineman

The rendering was drawn in Rhinoceros 3.0 and rendered in Flamingo.
Took about 1/2 hour to draw and render. For a demo you can check it out
at http://www.rhino3d.com

Machineman wrote:

http://www.jamescrombie.com/temp2/settingjig.jpg

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI
Canada
Machinist - 3D Cad Design - Amateur Astronomer

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Machineman

Richard

It's an relief angle chart for boring bars vs dia of hole. Gives you
the primary and secondary angles for the sides of the cutting edge,
similar to a chart for endmill grinding.
The "Corrosion" is just the pixalation of the bitmap used to generate
the groundplane image for the rendering. It's not normally supposed to
be viewed that close :-) Mainly a time saving thing while raytracing
the scene. The bumpmap gets applied as a tile along the view plane but
is not part of the raytracing. Drawing took about 20min, choosing
colors and textures 10min and 1min to render. For more info on
Rhinoceros Cad program see http://www.rhino3d.com