Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim Williams

Default Small motor wiring...

I picked up a 1/8HP 115V 1ph. 2.5A 700RPM motor today.. but it came with an
odd plug. Though it's molded like a normal grounded three prong plug, the
three flat prongs on this one all point such that it looks like you can plug
it in any of 3 positions.. I'm guessing 3-phase, but that isn't what the
motor plate says!

Google turns up this for Fasco D827:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...Fasco_D800.htm
But that doesn't tell me what the wires are. (Oh, I forgot to mention I get
red, black and white to choose from. Whoop de do.)

From what I can tell, white and red are the run winding (with those plugged
in, I can hand start it in either direction) and black is the start winding,
common to white (connecting a 40 ohm resistor in series because I don't want
to blow anything, it starts in the proper direction when connected to red.
There's probably .5 to 1A in the resistor, it heats up pretty fast.) Can I
just connect that straight, should/do I need to turn it off somehow when it
comes up to speed, etc.?

BTW the wires measu
red to white = 11.5 ohms (I have no inductance test on this meter)
red to black = 2uF
back to white = 3uF
(There's a 6uF cap attached somewhere in here.)

Tim (long winded as always)

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson