James B. Millard

Default More South Bend lathe questions

Has anybody seen this lathe on E-Bay? I've not seen a South Bend like this,
are they any good?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm

Grant Erwin

During the 1980s South Bend, like most companies, tried taking manufacturing
to Taiwan. I would bet this is one of those. I wouldn't buy that lathe for
four grand with zero tooling, no way Jose. For that kind of money you can
get a real nice lathe these days. Buy one from a company that doesn't need
it and forget ebay. If I wanted a big hobby lathe like this one I'd bid
this one all the way up to about $1500. And homey wants *waaay* more that
that.

Grant

James B. Millard wrote:
Has anybody seen this lathe on E-Bay? I've not seen a South Bend like this,
are they any good?

Thanks!

Brad

James B. Millard

Grant Erwin wrote:

During the 1980s South Bend, like most companies, tried taking
manufacturing to Taiwan. I would bet this is one of those. I wouldn't buy
that lathe for four grand with zero tooling, no way Jose. For that kind of
money you can get a real nice lathe these days. Buy one from a company
that doesn't need it and forget ebay. If I wanted a big hobby lathe like
this one I'd bid this one all the way up to about $1500. And homey wants
*waaay* more that that.

Yeah, I agree 100% about the price -- that's why I'm not bidding. I was
just curious about the lathe...

Thanks!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm

Wayne

They are new for $8950.
South Bend still shows it on their web site because
the dealers still have them. They discontinued it last year.
http://www.southbendlathe.com/g26t.htm
They are suppose to be made in Taiwan, assembled in the U.S.

The headstock (& specs for it) look the same as the Webb I
just bought. Awaiting some levelling feet to finish the
installation. The Webb is cheaper and comes with the chucks.