Engineman1

Default v belt sizes

The other day I received a letter from my cousin telling me of his experiences
replacing a drivebelt on a rooftop air conditioner on his church. The old belt
was marked A-40 so to be on the safe side he bought a A-40-1/2. It was way too
tight so he got an A-41. Still too tight so he had to move the motor.
I remember having similar belt problems years ago but I'm wondering why belt
manufacturers havn't been able to standardize their length measuring system?
Engineman1
Tim Williams

Probably it stretched. A *lot*. Although that begs the question of how it
got there in the first place, unless the motor was adjusted as it wore.

I should know, our drill press needs a new belt, I now have the motor in the
fully extended position all the time.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

"Engineman1" wrote in message
The other day I received a letter from my cousin telling me of his

experiences
replacing a drivebelt on a rooftop air conditioner on his church. The old

belt
was marked A-40 so to be on the safe side he bought a A-40-1/2. It was way

too
tight so he got an A-41. Still too tight so he had to move the motor.
I remember having similar belt problems years ago but I'm wondering why

belt
manufacturers havn't been able to standardize their length measuring

system?
Engineman1

Greg O

"Engineman1" wrote in message
I remember having similar belt problems years ago but I'm wondering why

belt
manufacturers havn't been able to standardize their length measuring

system?
Engineman1

I change belts almost every day in my job. Belt lengths are standardized. If
the old belt was an A-40 the new one should be an A-40. The old belt
probably was stretched.
Greg

Gunner

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:08:32 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Engineman1" wrote in message
I remember having similar belt problems years ago but I'm wondering why

belt
manufacturers havn't been able to standardize their length measuring

system?
Engineman1

I change belts almost every day in my job. Belt lengths are standardized. If
the old belt was an A-40 the new one should be an A-40. The old belt
probably was stretched.
Greg

Chuckle..I just completed a Hardinge HC/OmniTurn retrofit..and did a
direct drive conversion as well by pulling the varidrive, installing
double sheave pulleys etc etc.

I ordered a matching pair of B-88 belts from Graingers..and one was at
least 1" longer than the other. Checking their stock..they tended to
run from 3/8 to 1.5" out of spec.

I ordered a matching pair of Browing belts (which is what I should
have done in the first place but was in a hurry) from my usual source
and they WILL be matching.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Brian Lawson

Hey Engineman,

Went through something similar for the lawn tractor just the other
day. The local Husqevarna (SP??) dealer carries Dayco brand belts.
An AP92 is 94 inches long and a AP67 is 69 inches. Just add two
inches to what the "number" is. I asked why, and he says it is
because Dayco measures a belt by the inside or contact circumference,
while some other manufacturers use the outside circumference.

So, a quick go-round with my calculator says that if the belt
"thickness' (depth) is 3/8", then a belt with ID circumference of 92
inches will have diameter of 29.29". Add 3/8" thick for the belt to
get OD diameter of 30.04" and an OD circumference of 94.35.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX