Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Housh

Default Seeking medium sized Steel Fab Shops to place long term outsourcing work

I am a buyer for Sandvik Mining and Construction, Driltech, located in
North Central Florida. We are currently looking to expand our
fabricator supply base because we are beginning to get into trouble on
small parts requirements suppliers. In the past week I have sent out
over 200 new parts for quoting to my regular supplier base and I am
simply not getting quotes back. We have a fantastic group of suppliers
working with us but our demand is simply outgrowing our supply base. I
have 15 suppliers that I use for these small parts currently and I need
a minimum of 2 more medium/large shops. To be very clear, we are not
looking to replace any of our current suppliers, we need additional
capacity. Most of you are probably familiar with our company thru
machine shop cutting tools. I work for the Mining and Construction
division but the parent company is Sandvik.

We have over 30,000 part numbers, which go into our rigs. I am
responsible for app. 10,000 of those. They range from a part, which
will fit in the palm of your hand to parts that an entire NFL team can
stand on along with their cheerleader squads.

These facilities would have to have both fabricating and machining
capabilities. No overhead crane requirements. My perfect shop would be
one with:

Minimum of $1 million in gross annual sales (I am restricted to being
no more than 20% of a suppliers business)
10+ certified welders AWS D1.1
Multiple welding stations
Shape making capabilities (Oxy,Laser, and/or Waterjet) plate sizes 16
gage - 6" thick
Plate bending
Iron Working machine
Large Radial Drill Press (not that important)
CNC Mills
Large CNC Horizontal mill (This would be a tremendous plus with min 47"
on X, 44" on Y, potential for gear box product line)
CNC lathes (large and small)
Manual drills
Manual mills
Manual lathes

App. workforce of 30-40 shop floor personnel
Located in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina,
in that order preferred but will consider elsewhere. (Shipping charges
would become a big issue on these smaller parts) All parts quoted FOB
Alachua, Fl. If I have a quote from a company in Lakeland, Fl and one
from Memphis, TN and both are the same but the Lakeland shop has
shipping included and the Memphis shop does not it would not be fair to
compare the quotes. The TN shop would have a hidden charge to cover
shipping. So all pricing must include shipping.

This is a lot of information I realize, I am not restricted to this
size shop but it is in my best interest to locate 2 shops at least this
size that has a lot of capacity available. I can not consider any 3 and
4 man shops or "start up" companies. The 20% rule excludes them, I am
sorry. So, if you have a lead on a shop, which fits this description,
please contact me at or phone me at
352-317-00962. If you would like to see a couple photos of a couple of
our larger fabrications and to get more information on larger fab shops
which we are also seeking I have set up a webpage you can check out. It
is located at
http://www.jerryhoush.com .

I CAN NOT deal with any paid manufacturing representative firms.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jerry Housh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

On 25 May 2006 02:30:32 -0700, "Jerry Housh"
wrote:

I am a buyer for Sandvik Mining and Construction, Driltech, located in
North Central Florida. We are currently looking to expand our
fabricator supply base because we are beginning to get into trouble on
small parts requirements suppliers. In the past week I have sent out
over 200 new parts for quoting to my regular supplier base and I am
simply not getting quotes back.

Sorry, as a small fabricator, our corporate policy is to avoid getting
involved with large corporations.

We have a fantastic group of suppliers
working with us but our demand is simply outgrowing our supply base.

Time for you to change your business model.

have 15 suppliers that I use for these small parts currently and I need
a minimum of 2 more medium/large shops. To be very clear, we are not
looking to replace any of our current suppliers, we need additional
capacity.

I've heard that before and I don't buy it.

Most of you are probably familiar with our company thru
machine shop cutting tools. I work for the Mining and Construction
division but the parent company is Sandvik.

So why is this not posted on the official Sandvik corporate web site
rather than on your personal http://www.jerryhoush.com web site?

[...]

Lets see, your "perfect supplier" is a business that has: $1 million
gross sales/35 shop floor personnel equals gross sales of less than
$30,000 per highly skilled tradesman? I think I understand why you
are not getting any responses to your RFQs.

Located in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina,
in that order preferred but will consider elsewhere. (Shipping charges
would become a big issue on these smaller parts) All parts quoted FOB
Alachua, Fl.

Sorry, in order to stay in business, all quotes are FOB our plant. We
are a fabricator, not a transportation company. We only quote on what
we do.

If I have a quote from a company in Lakeland, Fl and one
from Memphis, TN and both are the same but the Lakeland shop has
shipping included and the Memphis shop does not it would not be fair to
compare the quotes. The TN shop would have a hidden charge to cover
shipping. So all pricing must include shipping.

Sorting quotes out is your problem.

This is a lot of information I realize, I am not restricted to this
size shop but it is in my best interest to locate 2 shops at least this
size that has a lot of capacity available.

I bet...

I can not consider any 3 and
4 man shops or "start up" companies.

How do you think "small shops" become "big shops"?

The 20% rule excludes them, I am
sorry. So, if you have a lead on a shop, which fits this description,
please contact me at or phone me at
352-317-00962.

Me thinks that if you were employed by Sandvik Corporation and
authorized to act on behalf of your employer, the above e-mail address
would be at @sandvik.com and at a phone number listed on
http://www.smc.sandvik.com/

However, here is a small fabrication shop just for you:
http://www.thyssenkrupp.com/

If you would like to see a couple photos of a couple of
our larger fabrications and to get more information on larger fab shops
which we are also seeking I have set up a webpage you can check out. It
is located at http://www.jerryhoush.com .

I CAN NOT deal with any paid manufacturing representative firms.

So, you're just fishing?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jerry Housh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Housh

I will not get into a ****ing contest with you but I will give you my
actual address, I used the generic one to avoid getting slammed with
spam through the corporate account. Everything I wrote in that request
was the truth and it is up to you if you choose to believe it. As to
the number of suppliers I am using for the fabricated parts simply
check the Lakeland, Fl area and mention Driltech. You won't find any
fab shops there who are not doing business with us.

jerry.housh AT sandvik.com

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--I think what rankles is where you posted this: it really doesn't
belong on this group. You should have posted to sci.engr.manufacturing.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Porgy Tirebiter?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Housh

Thanks for the "tip". As a machinist of 20 years turned buyer (read
"Fish out of water") I simply thought that if I needed to locate
fabrication shops that a group about welding would be the place to go.
I have rarely found ME depts to be terribly helpful. If you want
answers/solutions, the floor is the place to go. I considered this "the
shop floor" of the fabrication/welding/machining neighborhood.

It really should not be this hard to give work/money away. Please
excuse my intrusion.

Jerry Housh
SMC Driltech