Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BobKellock

Default Sleeves wanted!

I'm rebuilding a verandah as the old, all wooden framed, one was about
to collapse. I'm using old steam pipe for the columns but am
contructing decorative false bases to give them some style. The bases
are made from 6" pipe but I need decorative sleeves to fit between the
2 sizes of pipe at the top of the base. The sleeves need to be made of
something which can take the odd knock e.g. HE30 or harder but the
finish and dimensions are not critical as they are purely decorative
and will be painted.

The design (and dimensions) for the sleeves can be seen on my pathetic
website http://www.bobkellock.co.uk/

I have a very ancient, plain bearing, Colchester Triumph which I
suspect wouldn't be up to profile turning.

I'd be interested in any suggestions for making them or if anyone would
be prepared to make them for me. Autocad .DWG or .DXF files are
available.

I am in S.W. Wiltshire and the phone number is on the website.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

BobKellock wrote:
[...]

Can you make this up as three separate pieces ? A top and bottom ring
rolled out of solid steel and fill in between with thin plate . Weld it
all up and you should be OK . Luck
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

BobKellock wrote:
[...]

Turning them out of wood on your metal
lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On 18 May 2006 14:09:25 -0700, "BobKellock" wrote:

[...]

Apart from the dimension at the bottom of the drawing (typo?) a Triumph should
romp through that with any reasonable metal.
I would probably go for continuously cast, cast-iron bar and do most of the
curves to fit a template. You aren't looking for tenths accuracy on the curved
bits. The bore and the straight parts to fit the pipes you can make as
accurate as you need... also not very, for this job.

If you are worried about doing the work, try asking un uk.rec.models
engineering. There may be someone there (e.g. John Stevenson) who would knock
them off for a sufficient number of bottles of ale.

Have fun.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Everything That You Always Wanted To Know About Cherry - But Were Afraid To Ask Tom Watson Woodworking 8 June 6th 04 02:02 AM
Wanted jake fry Woodworking 2 May 13th 04 05:10 PM
Sony CPD-520GS compass module wanted or a IC on it. (SIU-212) Bob Kos Electronics Repair 2 March 6th 04 07:03 AM
SOMEONE WANTED A KID'S PROJECT T. Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 11:01 PM
WANTED PLAIN OSCILOSCOP LEADER LBO-505 manuel garcia Electronics Repair 0 November 22nd 03 08:13 AM