Mike

Default Machining Aluminum Bronze

I want to machine some aluminum bronze for some bushings but have never
tried to turn it on a lathe. Is it tough and tricks or tips ?

thanks
Mike Miller

Daniel A. Mitchell

I've done some machining of it. Specific alloy unknown. A metal
warehouse gave me a chunk of it, saying they THOUGHT is was some regular
(Cu/Sn) bronze. What I had doesn't machine too badly, about like other
bronzes, a bit 'grabby', but not awful. Just don't try to solder this
stuff! BAD news there! :-(

Dan Mitchell
==========

Mike wrote:

I want to machine some aluminum bronze for some bushings but have never
tried to turn it on a lathe. Is it tough and tricks or tips ?

thanks
Mike Miller

PrecisionMachinisT

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I want to machine some aluminum bronze for some bushings but have never
tried to turn it on a lathe. Is it tough and tricks or tips ?

The aircraft stuff that has nickel in it machines a lot like some stainless.

Squeaka squeaka............

Work hardens if you arent careful too, IIRC

--

SVL

Bill Marrs

The aircraft stuff that has nickel in it machines a lot like some
stainless.

Squeaka squeaka............

Work hardens if you arent careful too, IIRC

Almost like some tool steels in that respect. Take a chip, don't let the
cutter rub or the stuff hardens
up like you won't believe. I was countersinking some wear blocks for 1/4"
flat head socket screws.
Single flute 82 degree TiN coated countersink, decent drill press, low
speed. Let up on the pressure
for about one revolution. Had to finish that one with a carbide burr in a
die grinder!

Bill

Ted Edwards

Mike wrote:

I want to machine some aluminum bronze for some bushings but have never
tried to turn it on a lathe. Is it tough and tricks or tips ?

I've never had any solid Al-bronze to work with but I have built up some
shafts with AMPCO 200 and turned that down to size. I used TNMP-321
uncoated carbide inserts and it went well. These were in my tool
holders
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/toolholder/toolholder.html
which give 5degrees positive rake. I say uncoated because they are
sharper than coated.

Ted