Dave Baker

Default Machining Aluminum Bronze

Subject: Machining Aluminum Bronze
From: "Mike"
Date: 02/04/04 20:56 GMT Daylight Time

I want to machine some aluminum bronze for some bushings but have never
tried to turn it on a lathe. Is it tough and tricks or tips ?

Tough as old boots. Not too fast on the spindle speed and a sharp non ferrous
carbide tip sorts it out fine though. It gets stinking hot without coolant as
you machine it though so be sure to let things cool down before aiming for the
final size or heat expansion will mess you about. I generally rough to a few
thou oversize and then finish the parts after they've sat a while. But that's
mainly because I don't use coolant and can't be bothered rigging it up for the
limited amount of turning I do.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.