Asp3211968

Default monarch 10ee electrical

i just bought a 10ee monarch 1980b-day it says it is for 460 volts, can this
be rewired to operate on 220 3phase, or do i need a stepup transformer and what
rating
Neil

I have a 1966 10ee that is set up for 460 volts. Prior to its
delivery I contacted Monarch to see what needed changing to get down
to 230. The helpful tech send me a fax copy of the schematic and
indicated where changes needed to be made.

He said that the two filament transformers might need to be replaced,
and they were a couple hundred dollars each. Not to mention, there
are two shunts that need to be custom made for the lower voltage.
After I looked at the job and the cost, I got cold feet.

Long story short I bought a nice new 7.5kv step-up transformer (about
$250) and run the machine on the 460v for which it is configured.
Runs real nice. You might be able to find one cheaper, but I didn't
want to play russian roulette with this one.

Neil

P.S. Either way, if you care, you'll need to resolve how to run the
3-phase coolant pump. A small VFD or static convertor would do fine.
I haven't run mine yet...

On 27 Mar 2004 00:00:32 GMT, (Asp3211968) wrote:

i just bought a 10ee monarch 1980b-day it says it is for 460 volts, can this
be rewired to operate on 220 3phase, or do i need a stepup transformer and what
rating

Peter H.

For most 10EEs, the best course is a 240:480 transformer.

There is more to it than the two filament transformers (Modular) or the
filament transformer and field anode transformer (WiaD).

The C-H contactor, the pilot light transformer and the work light transformer,
for example.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Electrical wiring inspector? phil UK diy 14 November 25th 03 12:54 AM