Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default #$%!! Fan

A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up. Two 5/32 setscrews hold the fan blade to the shaft, so they got
to bet loosened to take the blade off.

Serious tugging with a basic good quality allen wrench..no movement.
Apply Kroil in copious quanties..let sit, use small pipe as snipe on
allen wrench..tap several times..give her a pull..and round out the
setscrew instantly..Frack..

Take out 3/8" socket with 5/32 allen..add small breaker bar to second
allen, tug..and shear allen off inside the setscrew....FRACK!

Blades are in the way as is the back cage. So cage has to go. solid
weldment..so taking out trusty air cut off wheel, I slit the cage to
pull out around the motor shaft..blades in the way...****..cut away
entire section. and remove the cage, will tig it back together later.

No amount of poking, prodding, thumping coaxing or praying will get
that busted allen stub out. So drill a series of holes around the
allen, then use a 2 flute end mill in a hand drill to cut enough
material away so the setscrew and allen fall out.

Fan too big and too close to coupler to use milling machine..so must
do with drill motor.

Drill out other rounded setscrew.

Take fan and motor to hydraulic press to press shaft out of fan
assembly. Discover fan assembly too big to go in press...damn..

Rig up chunks of I beam, hang motor from fan coupler with a couple
pieces of 3/4" flat stock across I beams. Soak well in Kroil. turn
heavy brass drive to under shaft size and using a 2 lb shop hammer,
attempt to drift shaft out of fan. Repeatedly..more kroil..more
beating..more kroil...nada..no movement, nothing.

fan attachment is too wide for a gear puller to work and too flimsy.

Get out rosebud and OA torch. Head couple till dull red, use brass
drive and 2 lb hammer. Repeatedly. More fire, more beating, more fire,
more beating...nada. Fan will not move in either direction.

Let cool. Use Kroil. Use hammer and drift. Repeatedly. Nasa.

Stand there incredulously. Go in house and log on to usenet. Maybe the
good faries will remove it for me while Im sleeping.

Sure they will. Ayup. Oh for sure dude.

Sigh...

All I wanted to do was change the bearings, damnit

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Gunner wrote:
A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up.

You Idiot - it was still working, and you fiddled with it. Serves you
right. best bet is to go away and do something else. How to do it will
come to you. Hidden screw, thread on motor shaft to fan blade, Bad
Karma , - take your pick. Personally, I blame Geaorge Bush.

Your just having a bad day, its your turn, thats all. Dont stress about
it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Gunner" wrote in message
A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up. Two 5/32 setscrews hold the fan blade to the shaft, so they got
to bet loosened to take the blade off.

SNIP

Another fine example of the "Gunner Factor". Lower your expectations,
embrace the horror!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 14 May 2006 13:09:52 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up. Two 5/32 setscrews hold the fan blade to the shaft, so they got
to bet loosened to take the blade off.

SNIP

Another fine example of the "Gunner Factor". Lower your expectations,
embrace the horror!

true!
he'll eventually end up with a workshop full of chopped up mangled fan
then realise that to get new bearings into it you also need to get a
new fan around them.

it was a funny read though.
Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson

Gunner wrote:

.. Use Kroil..

Use enough Kroil and you will need a fan

--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors or war, stress, and possibly
death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"Gunner" wrote in message
A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up. Two 5/32 setscrews hold the fan blade to the shaft, so they got
to bet loosened to take the blade off.

I make a living as a HVAC tech and have to rebuild allot of fans of
different configurations. One that used to bite me in the ass was the
inducer fans you see on larger rooftop heating equipment. These fans are
right in the exhaust of the burner, to pull the heated gases through the
burner. When a motor fails the rusted mess you get left with refuses to come
apart under all types of added force. I learned early to see if I had all
the parts needed to do the repair, that means motor, and fan blades, and
often part of the blower's housing. Then careful application of a hacksaw,
and toss pretty much everything and replace it all with new parts! Seems
extreme. but at $95 per hour $20-$30 in extra parts goes allot father than
the time need to separate and save the normally "reusable" parts. I have
saved fans when parts were not available, but it seems ridiculous to spend a
hour of labor to save twenty bucks.

Gunner, toss it all and buy new! It will keep the blood pressure down!!
Anyone want to start a "buy Gunner a fan fund?? ;-)
Greg
,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Noth'n like a good, hard hitting air hammer and some carefully ground
drifts to drive stuff like that off. Typical US manufactured
****....(the fan).
The hammers work amazingly well; even holding the parts in your hand,
the blows are so fast the inertia of the work stabilizes it. Heat the
hub and drive the shaft out. have at it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:03:53 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Noth'n like a good, hard hitting air hammer and some carefully ground
drifts to drive stuff like that off. Typical US manufactured
****....(the fan).
The hammers work amazingly well; even holding the parts in your hand,
the blows are so fast the inertia of the work stabilizes it. Heat the
hub and drive the shaft out. have at it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Humm...I do have a air hammer (rivet gun)...Ill try that this morning.
Its been sitting steeped in Kroil all night. Thanks for the idea!

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:37:41 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

But its a perfectly good Fan!! Just has a few gaping holes in the
part that goes around the motor shaft..and bad bearings in the
motor..and no pedestal, and a frayed line cord..and a wire guard
that's been cut with a cutoff wheel.

But it was Free!!

Sigh....

Gunner, toss it all and buy new! It will keep the blood pressure down!!
Anyone want to start a "buy Gunner a fan fund?? ;-)
Greg

Gack..dont start that..it was embarrassing enough some years ago when
I was ass hole deep in the swamp....
,

Gunner..dreading going out to face the Fan...
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Gunner wrote:

[...]

50 ton press and proper punch should get it out. When you do you might be
able to tell if it was a right or left hand thread. ;-)
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:03:53 -0700, JR North wrote:

Noth'n like a good, hard hitting air hammer and some carefully ground
drifts to drive stuff like that off. Typical US manufactured
****....(the fan).
The hammers work amazingly well; even holding the parts in your hand,
the blows are so fast the inertia of the work stabilizes it. Heat the
hub and drive the shaft out. have at it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Gunner wrote:

It's going to be about Tuesday night when Gunner finds out that the threads
are left handed BG

Mark Rand (feeling sympathy for 90 deg heat at this time of year)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

But its a perfectly good Fan!! Just has a few gaping holes in the
part that goes around the motor shaft..and bad bearings in the
motor..and no pedestal, and a frayed line cord..and a wire guard
that's been cut with a cutoff wheel.

Geez! I guess after you explain the pristine condition I can see why you
want to hang onto it!!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Any chance the screws are doubled up like on my Bridgeport pulley. I
wasn't amused when I found that one out. Released the obvious ones not
realising there was another set underneath.

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
syoung

Greg O wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message
news

But its a perfectly good Fan!! Just has a few gaping holes in the
part that goes around the motor shaft..and bad bearings in the
motor..and no pedestal, and a frayed line cord..and a wire guard
that's been cut with a cutoff wheel.

Geez! I guess after you explain the pristine condition I can see why you
want to hang onto it!!
Greg

Sounds like that "Lost Dog" message of years past - "Lost - three legged dog,
mostly deaf, blind in one eye, matted black mange fur coat - answers to "Lucky""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:43:15 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Any chance the screws are doubled up like on my Bridgeport pulley. I
wasn't amused when I found that one out. Released the obvious ones not
realising there was another set underneath.

No. I drilled all the way down and into the motor shaft. The shaft has
a flat for one setscrew and another setscrew 90' off.

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Nothing saved, nothing gained... :-)

I expected a 4' self acting wheel pulley to be used myself.
I expected a 8' square ultrasonic tank to be used - shake the sand out...

Such is life. Expecting mine to go one of these days - it is breathing
sand and metal every day.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

A year or so ago I scrounged one of those big 4' shop fans that stand
up on a pedestal and blow huge amounts of air around the shop. Didn't
have the stand, the switch was broken and the bearings sounded like a
coffee can full of rocks..but it blew air well enough. Summer is again
upon me..its been 90F for the last week or two..so its time to fix er
up. Two 5/32 setscrews hold the fan blade to the shaft, so they got
to bet loosened to take the blade off.

SNIP

Another fine example of the "Gunner Factor". Lower your expectations,
embrace the horror!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:28:49 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Nothing saved, nothing gained... :-)

I expected a 4' self acting wheel pulley to be used myself.
I expected a 8' square ultrasonic tank to be used - shake the sand out...

Such is life. Expecting mine to go one of these days - it is breathing
sand and metal every day.

Martin

Simple enough to get the motor apart. Both 6203Z bearings are toast,
shafts are ok. No damage to the motor cases. Ive hunted through my
bearing stockpile..and no shielded bearing of that size, oddly enough.
Though I did toss about 2-300 lbs of bearings away last year cause the
boxes were wet.

I did find a few sets of double row "swiveling" bearings..interesting
design Id not seen before. 1203 bearing. Must be made for shaft usage
where they may be a bit out of line.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Self-Aligning-...QQcmdZViewItem

bit overkill for an electric motor. Ill save em for a better project.

IRRC.these 6203 bearings are pretty much standard motor/motorcycle
wheel/super skateboard/etc etc bearings. Ebay they are a buck a piece

Ill call around in the morning and see who has a pair of them. Locally
they are likely to be $5-10 each. Ebay..a buck apiece plus shipping.

Which will be better for motor application..metal shield or rubber
shield?

No provision for greasing them of course..shrug..Dayton "Fan Head"
motor. Which was filled with rust..not surprising considering it had
been stored outside before I got it, and for a while after I got it.
Ill have to bead blast the inside of the motor bell ends a bit and
clean out some of the aluminum corrosion and the bearing recesses..but
its an easy fix. Still need to pull the back end bearing, which is in
a blind recess..but worst comes to worst..I can drill a couple holes
on the far side of the end bell and use a punch to knock it out..then
tig the holes closed again.

Two speed motor with "string pull" switch, which appears to be missing
the string. Ill pop it apart and see if its usable.

Rebearing, a quicky paint job, some fast tigging of the cage, stick it
on a stand made of a chunk of pipe and a truck rim and Ill have a 4'
two speed air mover for the shop. Something Im looking forwards to
having when the temp in the shop is 115F.

And not something I could afford to go out and buy. A decent one is
about $200 new, and one hardly sees a used one anywhere in So Cal as
they are always needed in machine shops.

My time is my own on weekends..so labor cost is nil. Materials I have
except for the bearings.

Next thing I need to find is a decent sized swamp cooler thats in good
enough shape to put on a dolly and run out in the shop. Most of them
unfortunately are totally rusted out, not that many plastic ones can
be found used around the Central Valley or even in So Cal.

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote on Sun, 14 May 2006 18:04:18 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Gunner, toss it all and buy new! It will keep the blood pressure down!!
Anyone want to start a "buy Gunner a fan fund?? ;-)
Greg

Gack..dont start that..it was embarrassing enough some years ago when
I was ass hole deep in the swamp....
,

Gunner..dreading going out to face the Fan...

I'm afraid to find out what happens next When the Gunner Hits the Fan!

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.