John Normile

Default Repairs and Training

I have been mostly lurking / sometimes posting on RCM for quite a few
years now, and have become aware of two recurring threads. First is
the repair of shop equipment, and the other is training and where and
how to get it. I have a problem that may have a solution based on
these situations.

The problem I have is that my Anilam digital read has quit working,
and I suspect the power supply. The solution that I envision is that
I swap machine shop instruction for the repair of my DRO.

Now for the added inducement. I live in a
resort/recreation/retirement community located in central Arkansas.
My prospective repairman/student could, for example, work with me in
the morning, then vacation with the family in the afternoon; boating,
camping, fishing, etc.

I have a hobby shop that I feel is well equipped, by most home
standards. It has 2 Harrison lathes, and Excello mill, a Boyar
Schultz surface grinder, 2 band saws, drill press, and other smaller
equipment. It is well equipped to provide for basic shop
instruction.

My background includes a five year apprenticeship for tool and die
making in a federally recognized program. Plus an additional five
years working in tooling job shops, before moving on to tool design,
and eventually manufacturing engineering. So I feel qualified to
provide instruction in basic recreational machining.

So, is there any interest out there? If so, email at: jnormile (at)
cswnet.com

Thanks
John Normile

Wild Bill

I'm just wondering, have you contacted Anilam about repair service? They're
one of many companies that don't seem to care about email inquiries, so
you'll most likely need to call them. Maybe someone else can comment about
their repair rates.

Your training offer is a thoughtful offer. Someone with a reasonably good
understanding and/or working knowlege in electronic repair should be able to
troubleshoot a power supply fault (if that's the problem), but the
microprocessor counter circuits aren't as common to many other types of
other electronic gear.

WB